• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

9-year-old female guinea pig not eating or drinking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
In the last few days, our 9-year-old female guinea pig has stopped eating (mostly) ond drinking. She will still eat a few pieces of frozen corn or peas, but will not eat her usual fruits and vegetables. She is still interested in food, but refuses to eat it. When she does eat, she eats slowly, and sometimes whimpers a little as if it hurts her to do so.

We've been to a vet, who felt two lumps in her abdomen, the one on the right larger and more round, that he thinks might be ovarian cancer but could also be kidney failure. We've been giving her the Critical Care powder he prescribed and water through a syringe. She seems sick, but still has energy. Today she peed a bit of blood, but weighs roughly the same.

(When she was 2 years old, she also had an abscess behind her eye that she had removed through surgery. I don't know if that has anything to do with it.)

What should we do? And, is there something wrong with her jaw, even though the vet told us her teeth were normal? Please help!

It sounds to me like anorexia http://www.guinealynx.info/anorexia.html
Have a read through here and see if there are any symptoms you recognise.
But, I would take her to the vet for proper advise as that is needed in situations like this, when Guinea Pigs get older a lot of health problems arise so it's vital you bring her to the vets at this stage :)

It could also be UTI or Bladder Stones (that would explain blood in urine) UTI can usually be cured with prescribed anti-biotics and Bladder Stones with surgery. But take this time to spend as much time with your girl as possible before your vet visit.

Firstly i'd like to welcome you and your dear 9yr old piggie to the forum :)
What a wonderful age x)
I'd be asking for a second opinion from a cavy savvy vet :)
If you're anywhere near Northampton you could call Simon at The Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic, he is fabulous with piggies! i'll pop a link to his web site with details for you. If you can update us with where you're located someone may know of a vet near you :)
Wishing you both good luck XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Glynis, Velvet and Onyx x

http://www.catandrabbit.co.uk/

Did the vet check right at the back of her teeth? Has the vet given you any medicine or just the critical care? Ovarian cysts are much more likely than ovarian cancer and are easily treated with hormone injections. Whereabouts are you as I would suggest seeing a different vet and someone might be able to point you in the direction of one.

First, thank you all for your time and help!

The vet didn't do an x-ray, but instead used some metal instrument to help him look at her back molars without anesthesia. And he didn't think the lumps were cysts, because he said with cysts there is usually hair loss along the guinea pig's sides, and she didn't have that symptom.

(I'm in the US)

How is your piggy today? Did you know that guinea pigs cannot eat frozen vegetables? They are also not allowed peas. I just thought I would mention that.

Has your vet checked her teeth, especially the molars that are not as easily visible, but often at the root of eating problems? Most older sows have ovarian cysts without major problems.

Could you please tell us where you are located?

Please be aware that frozen food and pulses are both a no no for guinea pigs.

Here are tips for hand feeding. If you cannot get hold of recovery foods in powder form from your vets, you can use mushed up good quality pellets. you need to get about 120ml of slush into her over the course of 24 hours, in several sessions round the clock. It is vital that you get food into her or her guts will stop working. Please also syringe her water to keep her hydrated.
http://www.guinealynx.info/handfeeding.html

Last edited:
I had two girls with ovarian cysts and neither had any hair loss. It is quite possible that there are more piggies out there that have them but the owner doesn't notice them unless the piggy has hair loss or if they have become very large. Where in the States are you? There are a few people on here who might be able to find you a piggy savy vet, I would class that as one who knows cysts don't always have to cause hair loss for a start. To be honest cysts shouldn't cause her to stop eating. I would get a second opinion on the teeth. She should have at least been given a gut stimulant and some painkillers if you think she is in pain. I'll try and get a mod to pop this in health and illness for you so you get more replies.

Update: She has started eating a lot more fruit and vegetables since yesterday! She looks a little more active, too. But, she is still not drinking her water or eating her hay, and barely eats any of her dry food. Hopefully she will. I'm not sure why she'll eat other vegetables, but not her normal food or water.

Good that she is eating. I would still get a second opinion on her teeth if she doesn't start eating all her food soon or if at any point you feel she is in pain when she eats. She might have just had a tummy bug. How is her urine colour? Has she had any more blood in her wee?

Update: She has started eating a lot more fruit and vegetables since yesterday! She looks a little more active, too. But, she is still not drinking her water or eating her hay, and barely eats any of her dry food. Hopefully she will. I'm not sure why she'll eat other vegetables, but not her normal food or water.
It's got to hear she's recovering well!

Are you weighing her daily? Can you please mush up some pellets and feed those to her.

Please have her back teeth checked. I am glad that she is a bit better, though.

You could also try to shred or cut her veggies into long strips, you can do this with hay also :) I have hand fed hay often to a sick piggie, just cut into smaller pieces (2-3 inches long) and put into side of mouth, they usually start to nibble on it then.
Whee also grind up pellets and make them into a slushy and feed thru a syringe. You can also offer some rolled oats (just the plain ones, no flavourings)

I haven't noticed that her urine has had any more blood in it, but recently she has been eating much less again. She is still being syringe fed critical care, and will eat a few plain rolled oats, a bit of an apple, lettuce, grass, and some peas, but a small amount of food generally. She had gained weight from 1 pound, 11 ounces, but has lost it again, even to just below 1 pound, 9 ounces. She's still not eating hay or pellets or drinking water.

You should not feed her peas. They are not suitable for guinea pigs. I am sorry she is not eating again. Have you taken her back to the vet?

MORE HEALING VIBES XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Keep up with the syringe feeding, they need 120mls per day to maintain their weight. Good that she'll eat a little bit, just offer food often and maybe vary it to keep her interested :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back