• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A few questions about haybox hay

Eddie & Elvis

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've heard other people on the forum buy haybox hay and I've been looking into switching to it. At the the moment I just buy meadow hay from the local pet shop but it seems quite dusty which must be bad for the piggys lungs and sets off my hayfever.
So I have a few questions before I try it out:

How big would a 2.5kg box would be?

Is it dust extracted?

How long the 2.5kg box would last with 2 piggies?

Thanks 🙂

Yes it’s dust extracted.
a 5kg box measures about 60cm x 40cm. The 2.5kg box is the about 40x30 if I remember correctly (It’s been a long time since I’ve had the 2.5kg box)
I can’t really comment on how long it would last because my piggies live in my shed so I use hay for bedding as well. I also have two piggies and three rabbits which all get through it, so I use 20kg of hay every three weeks.

I think the measurements for the box are on the website, we get the 5kg box every 5 weeks, so I’d say that a 2.5kg would last you around a fortnight. It is much less dusty lovely quality hay! 35C9FCA9-3245-42F3-92D8-864FE79846C9.jpeg

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll definitely be ordering some now. I currently buy meadow hay. Is there much of a difference between different kinds of hay? I love Pepper and Pringles modelling of the hay by the way!

Thanks for the quick replies! I'll definitely be ordering some now. I currently buy meadow hay. Is there much of a difference between different kinds of hay? I love Pepper and Pringles modelling of the hay by the way!

yes there is a difference. Timothy hay is coarse and can’t be used as bedding. Meadow hay is much softer and can be used for eating and bedding.
my five adore their haybox hay and won’t touch anything else now!

You can buy 50/50 boxes too, if you want to try them both. My piggies seem to like both, but I got a big box of Timothy this time, and will top it up with meadow hay from our pet shop (which isn’t as nice to eat, but smells divine and doesn’t seem too dusty!)

I find the 2.5kg boxes a more convenient size, but 5kg are better value. The smaller boxes fit nicely in our cellarhead!

Attachments

• 38BE38F5-FEC7-4E18-BAC9-9BAA0025C689.jpeg
    38BE38F5-FEC7-4E18-BAC9-9BAA0025C689.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 5
I assume hay doesn't go off and just gets less fresh so I could get the 5kg box so it would last longer? Also approximately how long does it take to arrive?

Haybox do a lovely soft green meadow hay as well as the timothy, we go for the 50/50 option and get a box of each (well actually, 2 boxes of each!) every month. Usually arrives about 3 days after ordering, you get tracking info and the option to change your delivery day as soon as its dispatched, then a 1-hour delivery slot is confirmed by the dpd courier on delivery day :)

HayBox are very good with delivery and usually comes with 2-3 days unless it’s a weekend. I buy the meadow and Timothy so they have a bit of both in their cage for variety 😊

Yes they are usually very quick. My last subscription order confirmed on 17 sept and was delivered on 18 sept - this was the speediest one yet!. This subscription order confirmed today but hasn’t been dispatched with the speed of last month (although I did Suspect it was a one off!) but I should still receive it early next week (unless they deliver on Saturdays)

Yes they are usually very quick. My last subscription order confirmed on 17 sept and was delivered on 18 sept - this was the speediest one yet!. This subscription order confirmed today but hasn’t been dispatched with the speed of last month (although I did Suspect it was a one off!) but I should still receive it early next week (unless they deliver on Saturdays)

I'm 99% sure on this, but I think Parcelforce are the only courier that have a standard Saturday delivery, or at least they were. For the rest weekend delivery tends to be more expensive.

Yes whenever I've changed my delivery day for haybox the options are Monday to Friday only I think... I changed my regular order day recently so the order goes in on Mondays, and the hay usually arrives on Wednesdays while I am at home doing my mid week cage cleans!

I'm 99% sure on this, but I think Parcelforce are the only courier that have a standard Saturday delivery, or at least they were. For the rest weekend delivery tends to be more expensive.
Yes whenever I've changed my delivery day for haybox the options are Monday to Friday only I think... I changed my regular order day recently so the order goes in on Mondays, and the hay usually arrives on Wednesdays while I am at home doing my mid week cage cleans!

Thanks both. i didnt think they did Saturday deliveries as id never seen dpd going round my village on a Saturday. Ive never had to change my delivery day before though so wasn’t sure. I’m going to have to change my regular order day as well now I am working more so try to get it to coincide with my day off!

Thanks for all the replies! I'll definitely be getting some. I'll start off with the taster box to make sure they actually like the hay and if they do I'll start ordering regularly. I don't want to end up with 5kg of unwanted hay 🤣

Back