• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A few things I've noticed

Gingerspider

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. Some of you may have read that we recently lost one of our beloved boars to a relatively unknown illness and fairly quickly. Probably understandably I've been spending much more time with our surviving lad Martin, to give him some company whilst we look for a new pal. Whilst I've been spending more time with him (and probably worsened anxiety due to my fear of losing him too) I've been picking up on a few things he is doing that I may or may not have noticed before...especially when there were two of them there! Just wondering if anyone can shed light on whether they are normal or not:
1. Eating his poops! I know they are meant to do this but I've never seen them do it before and reading up on it, it sounds as though they eat a different type to the normal chocolate bananas! Martin seems to be eating a lot and just picking them up from the cage, not from his butt, as I've read. When I went to clean the cage after a few days, as normal there were hardly any there! I know i should be 50% down but it was massively less than normal (and it isn't that he isn't doing them, 2 minutes into the clean cage and 6 poops already there 🤣). I also noticed something to do with point two and that was a lack of wet patches...
2. Water hasnt gone down- i filled the water up on Thursday and its only gone down this much(see pic of 600ml bottle) I've seen him go to it a few times but sort of only have the tiniest bit. My other piggie would glug from it often so maybe he just needed more? Either way, a lack of pee on the bedding has had me worried

Martin is eating plenty of veggies, hay and nuggets and apart from the odd time where he looks forlorn, is enjoying floortime and seems to be bonding with us like never before (slowly! 🤣) so no other red flags.
With us losing Kurt (and me blaming it on the stress from the trip to the groomers) I want to make him as settled as possible, so avoid the vets if not necessary...although, ill of course go straight away if its something to worry about.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts 🙂

Attachments

• 16200742223712172186700705983105.jpg
    16200742223712172186700705983105.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2
Hi all. Some of you may have read that we recently lost one of our beloved boars to a relatively unknown illness and fairly quickly. Probably understandably I've been spending much more time with our surviving lad Martin, to give him some company whilst we look for a new pal. Whilst I've been spending more time with him (and probably worsened anxiety due to my fear of losing him too) I've been picking up on a few things he is doing that I may or may not have noticed before...especially when there were two of them there! Just wondering if anyone can shed light on whether they are normal or not:
1. Eating his poops! I know they are meant to do this but I've never seen them do it before and reading up on it, it sounds as though they eat a different type to the normal chocolate bananas! Martin seems to be eating a lot and just picking them up from the cage, not from his butt, as I've read. When I went to clean the cage after a few days, as normal there were hardly any there! I know i should be 50% down but it was massively less than normal (and it isn't that he isn't doing them, 2 minutes into the clean cage and 6 poops already there 🤣). I also noticed something to do with point two and that was a lack of wet patches...
2. Water hasnt gone down- i filled the water up on Thursday and its only gone down this much(see pic of 600ml bottle) I've seen him go to it a few times but sort of only have the tiniest bit. My other piggie would glug from it often so maybe he just needed more? Either way, a lack of pee on the bedding has had me worried

Martin is eating plenty of veggies, hay and nuggets and apart from the odd time where he looks forlorn, is enjoying floortime and seems to be bonding with us like never before (slowly! 🤣) so no other red flags.
With us losing Kurt (and me blaming it on the stress from the trip to the groomers) I want to make him as settled as possible, so avoid the vets if not necessary...although, ill of course go straight away if its something to worry about.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts 🙂

If Martin is fine himself and his weight is stable, then there is no reason to worry. Piggy drinking and poo output can individually vary a lot; I have pairs that eat a lot more hay than others when I refill the hay trays; some drink a lot and others hardly touch their bottles.
It is just that now that you look a lot more closely you notice the differences.
All About Drinking And Bottles

More about the crucial life-long weight monitoring (which is much more exact since you cannot monitor the crucial hay intake and since the poos output is usually running a day or even two days behind events) in this guide here, which you will find very helpful since it states exactly when and how soon to see a vet:
Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Please accept that Martin is also grieving. For assessing his moods and how he is coping, you will find these guides here helpful:
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

The redigested poos containing the nutritious parts of fibre for a second run through the gut (the caecotrophs, which translates simply as 'eaten poos' by the way) are usually directly picked from the anus, so you won't usually find them lying around. Piggies with limited mobility will usually turn round to pick them from where they have been dropped if they are no longer agile enough.

If Martin is fine himself and his weight is stable, then there is no reason to worry. Piggy drinking and poo output can individually vary a lot; I have pairs that eat a lot more hay than others when I refill the hay trays; some drink a lot and others hardly touch their bottles.
It is just that now that you look a lot more closely you notice the differences.
All About Drinking And Bottles

More about the crucial life-long weight monitoring (which is much more exact since you cannot monitor the crucial hay intake and since the poos output is usually running a day or even two days behind events) in this guide here, which you will find very helpful since it states exactly when and how soon to see a vet:
Weight - Monitoring and Management
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig Safely

Please accept that Martin is also grieving. For assessing his moods and how he is coping, you will find these guides here helpful:
Moody guinea pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

The redigested poos containing the nutritious parts of fibre for a second run through the gut (the caecotrophs, which translates simply as 'eaten poos' by the way) are usually directly picked from the anus, so you won't usually find them lying around. Piggies with limited mobility will usually turn round to pick them from where they have been dropped if they are no longer agile enough.
Thank you so much for that detailed response. I'll read through all those guides.
Hes plenty agile, so I'm not sure why he's started eating his actual poop so much(i mean they look like normal poops and he's eating them off the cage floor)...maybe I've never noticed? Just seems an odd thing to do. He is an oddball generally 🤣

Back