• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A friend for Athena

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiratePig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since I got Athena in September I've been tossing around the idea of getting her a friend.

My biggest worry is if Athena will take to the newcomer. She had a neighbour until she was two or three but was never in the same cage. Would a newbie be stressful for her?

I know the general steps involved (Quarentine, introduction on neutral ground, cleaning the cage before putting them in together) but I still have some questions. Does it take a lot of space and time? I only have a bachelor appartment so I would not be able to quarentine in a different room.

Also I seem to be having trouble finding shelters or rescues in my area that have pigs. I'm not sure whether is a good thing (ie all the pigs have homes) or a bad thing....:( The only rescue that seems to have pigs right now only has pairs.

We are spoiled here in Britain that there is quite a number of rescues that would let you take your piggy for some "dating" for a partner at the rescue.

However, as that is not an option for you in Canada, here is what I think is a way that would leave you all options, but cuts out most of the risks.

Some older piggies that have been living alone for a long time may not take to living with others, but they will enjoy the company. Perhaps you would consider rehoming a younger pair of sows that could come to live right next door, and then you are free in terms of Athena - she may take to them or not, but in any case you won't be ending up with two piggies who won't get along with each other.

Even if things went haywire, Athena would have somebody to interact with through the bars, but you won't end up any worse than at the outset and still have one working pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back