A Horrible Nail Cutting Incident!

Status
Not open for further replies.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So the other day I was cutting Amber's nails and I caught the vein, I hate it when this happens its horrific! Anyway I ran to get the 'quick stop' and put her nail into it so it would stop bleeding! Once it had stopped I carried on cutting the rest while she nibbled on her carrot happily, then placed her back into the indoor run once she was done, double checking the bleeding had stopped.

A few hours later once I had cleaned out her cage and done a few other bits and pieces I picked her up and to my horror there was blood EVERYWHERE! On her stomach, on her feet and even on her face?!?! I thought that maybe one of the cats had got to her through the bars but there was someone watching her constantly and no one had said anything about the cats putting paws in. I tried to find a wound or something that would make sense for the amount of blood there was but couldn't find anything! I cleaned her up and gave her lots of cuddles! It must have just been the nail that had reopened again!
I kept an eye on her for the rest of the day but she seemed fine! I wasn't! My heart sank when I saw so much blood! I was horrified! I felt so bad too! Poor little thing :(

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So the other day I was cutting Amber's nails and I caught the vein, I hate it when this happens its horrific! Anyway I ran to get the 'quick stop' and put her nail into it so it would stop bleeding! Once it had stopped I carried on cutting the rest while she nibbled on her carrot happily, then placed her back into the indoor run once she was done, double checking the bleeding had stopped.

A few hours later once I had cleaned out her cage and done a few other bits and pieces I picked her up and to my horror there was blood EVERYWHERE! On her stomach, on her feet and even on her face?!?! I thought that maybe one of the cats had got to her through the bars but there was someone watching her constantly and no one had said anything about the cats putting paws in. I tried to find a wound or something that would make sense for the amount of blood there was but couldn't find anything! I cleaned her up and gave her lots of cuddles! It must have just been the nail that had reopened again!
I kept an eye on her for the rest of the day but she seemed fine! I wasn't! My heart sank when I saw so much blood! I was horrified! I felt so bad too! Poor little thing :(
The quick can bleed quite a lot if she has bitten on it and reopened it (which also explains the blood in her face). :(

Please disinfect with hibiscrub or or saline solution (either sterile one from the pharmacy or homemade by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 pint of boiled, cooled water. See the vet as an emergency if the quick continues to bleed.

A&T

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The quick can bleed quite a lot if she has bitten on it and reopened it (which also explains the blood in her face). :(

Please disinfect with hibiscrub or or saline solution (either sterile one from the pharmacy or homemade by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt into 1 pint of boiled, cooled water. See the vet as an emergency if the quick continues to bleed.
Yeah I think that's what she must have done!
Thank you! I did mix some salt and warm water together when I was giving her a clean up :) kept an eye on it too to make sure it didn't get infected! She seems okay now though!

Status
Not open for further replies.