• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A loft for a 2x5 cage. Ease of cleaning.

Skullblits

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all. So I've been considering getting a loft for my girls hay. So they don't trail as much all over the place.

But just curious. How cleaning cage would happen if the loft is covering a part of the cage.

Also are they strong enough? Worried incase they collapse or something

My guys love their 2x2 loft on their 2x6 cage. But I do find it pain to clean, and also trying to get the fleece to sit in the back corner on the bottom floor. But I am rather short.. when my cage was on the floor I found it easier as I could just climb in and get underneath. But now it’s on a table, Which I do still sometimes climb in when it’s empty lol.

A covered loft full of hay makes having a fleece liner below sooo much easier. Saves hours of your life not picking hay off fleece 😊
I only have this arrangement if piggies are young enough for a ramp, which I put the end on something to reduce the slope, and also if there's no bullying. I've had to get rid of a loft when one sow decided it belonged to her and pushed her sister out or cornered her.

My current loft has loft bars holding it up, but you can have grids underneath supporting the loft. Look on the owners cage guide here or just type c and c cage loft into the search area or into Google. Lots of examples online.

Oh for cleaning under the loft, if it's just a hay free fleece liner to deal with, I pull it out to poop pick and lay it back, and for a cage clean day, I have used one of those claw grabbers with a wet wipe on the end, which worked well. I'm quite short so that was needed!

I always use cable ties, not just connectors, and cages are sturdy.

Last edited:
A covered loft full of hay makes having a fleece liner below sooo much easier. Saves hours of your life not picking hay off fleece 😊
I only have this arrangement if piggies are young enough for a ramp, which I put the end on something to reduce the slope, and also if there's no bullying. I've had to get rid of a loft when one sow decided it belonged to her and pushed her sister out or cornered her.

My current loft has loft bars holding it up, but you can have grids underneath supporting the loft. Look on the owners cage guide here or just type c and c cage loft into the search area or into Google. Lots of examples online.

Oh for cleaning under the loft, if it's just a hay free fleece liner to deal with, I pull it out to poop pick and lay it back, and for a cage clean day, I have used one of those claw grabbers with a wet wipe on the end, which worked well. I'm quite short so that was needed!

I always use cable ties, not just connectors, and cages are sturdy.
Thanks for the Tip. Definitely need a hay loft in my life lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-115830_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211106-115830_Chrome.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 5
I have a 5.5x2 with 2x2 loft.

20211019_125918.jpg20211019_125901.jpg

I can reach the bottom for the daily sweep easy enough but I am always on my knees bending all over to clean it. 🤣 During the weekly clean, I can remove the corex of the loft so I can have easy access at the bottom. I do have the bar that holds the loft corex so it's secure. (See photo below) I zip tied it to the side frames though so I can't remove it for a much easier clean. I just have to step through it. Or if I can't be bothered, which is often, I don't remove the loft corex and I just bend or lie down at the bottom so I can put all the fleece bedding and stuff under. 🤣

Screenshot_20211106-120502_eBay.jpg

Back