A New Pal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beautifulboars

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have had Arnie for a week now, and I'm worried he is bored :soz:

I had Ron and he was on his own for the whole time I had him and he was great, and Rufus was the same.

When I went back to P@H last week to get a litter tray for Arnie, I noticed a few of the guinea pigs he was in the pen with were still there - would it be an idea to bring one of them home? Or do I need to introduce him to Arnie? :hmm:

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi it would be great to get Arnie a friend and it's fantastic that you are concerned about him to want to consider it. Can I highly recommend that you use the guinea pig rescue locator on this forum @PiggyOwner cpuld you provide the link to it at all please, I'm rubbish at that!

It would be much better to take Arnie boar dating than to get another piggie from Pets at Home because you are far more likely to get a friend Arnie likes in the first place and you will have ongoing support when you bring them home if you have any concerns over behaviour/bonding which you don't get from a pet shop.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! The safest way of finding a character compatible mate is by bonding at an expert rescue where you can be guaranteed to only rehome a perfectly healthy/quarantined piggy, so you come home only with a boar that has worked out and you have the rescue to fall back on if things go wrong along the way. Sadly, your closest rescue is in Alyth, but a number of Scottish members have used it with great success with their own bereaved or single boars.

It is good that you are trying to find a mate for Arnie. The key to any successful boar bond is mutual liking and a good character balance. The best way is to let the piggies choose, as this reduces the risk of fall-outs during the teenage months considerably. an age difference is of advantage, as it means that only one boy is going through the hormone hits at any given time and there are less dominance issues.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Veggies Galore

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi it would be great to get Arnie a friend and it's fantastic that you are concerned about him to want to consider it. Can I highly recommend that you use the guinea pig rescue locator on this forum @PiggyOwner cpuld you provide the link to it at all please, I'm rubbish at that!

It would be much better to take Arnie boar dating than to get another piggie from Pets at Home because you are far more likely to get a friend Arnie likes in the first place and you will have ongoing support when you bring them home if you have any concerns over behaviour/bonding which you don't get from a pet shop.

Thank you both! I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what their process is, then maybe Arnie will have a wee pal by the end of the week
Glad you've got the info about rescues . I agree with above posters that you are more likely to find a compatible companion by going to a rescue.

Good luck in finding Arnie a friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.