• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A Rat!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicky

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I saw a rat in my garden today A RAT!. I know they are everywhere but I saw it run under a large storage box and then I read another post on here where a rat got into a run and killed a Guinea! It's made me feel worried to put Edward and Mrs Simpson in their run. My garden is only tiny and I worry when they are in the run anyway. Will they be ok .
:D That was the wrong face but I can't get rid of it. It should be this one :eek:

I'm sure your piggies will be fine as long as their run is secure and rats are probably too big to fit inside a run anyway. We get mice all the time in our garden but I've never seen a wild rat before!:blink:

I expect we've all got rats nearby but just haven't seen them . It's a reminder not to get complacent though and a reminder of how important it is to have a good sturdy run. I'm so glad my guinea pigs aren't in an outdoor hutch. I saw a fox walk through our garden a few weeks ago.

Maybe you could only put them out in their run when you can keep a close eye on them?
A few months back we had the peanut feeder hanging in front of the kitchen window and I looked out and saw a little field mouse clinging to it having a munch:D

A rat got into my shed and it was awful, fortunately none of the piggies were harmed, it freaked me out to see this rat in with piggies eating their food, eeeek! Husband then rat proofed the whole shed, bless him! They can get through small gaps but as long as your run is a fine sturdy wire mesh it should be fine.

I think I will stay in the garden when they are out.I am a worrywort since I saw it I have been guarding the dogs when they have been in the garden and one of them is a jack Russell XD

A rat got into my shed and it was awful, fortunately none of the piggies were harmed, it freaked me out to see this rat in with piggies eating their food, eeeek! Husband then rat proofed the whole shed, bless him! They can get through small gaps but as long as your run is a fine sturdy wire mesh it should be fine.
Rats are strong little buggers, ate through the floor in our old shed !

This one was only very young, it jumped the wall at the bottom of the garden and ran under the box I think it was just using it as a bolt hole but it has knocked my confidence. Today I was glad it rained so they had to have floor time in the bathroom lol.

Mine are outside and I try not to think about predators.. I worry all the time though.. Can't wait to get them inside so I can stop stressing.. X

As long as the run is secure you should be fine. Rats only tend to enter hutches because they are looking for food. If there's no food they should leave your pigs alone.

I wouldn't worry to much anyway. I live in the countryside so rats, foxes, birds of prey and pretty much everything apart from the Loch Ness monster is part of the package. Yet I've never lost a pig to any wild life. Whilst I'm not saying that it's not possible, it certainly it's the the norm or common, thank god!

If your guinea pigs can't get out of the run.. A rat won't be able to get in :)

Do you have any cats/foxes local to you? If so its very unlikely the rat will stay around.

Put Edward and Mrs Simpson in their run outside today. This is the first time since RAT incident . I first made my husband check under the box where we saw the rat run under it was all clear so out they went.:D They had a lovely time, I spent the entire time on high alert :lol!:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back