• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A terrible suggestion from PetSmart (IDK if that is in the U.K.)

Dimite102245

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I went on petsmart.com today to find good things for a guinea pig cage, and I found something that was not just concerning, but distressing. It was saying that a guinea pig would be a great pet for a classroom setting. After seeing this article I immediately contacted PetSmart and said this:

"It's very concerning and distressing to me that on your website you say that guinea pigs are great for the classroom. They are not. Guinea pigs need things that cannot be provided in the classroom. They are social animals and need a guinea pig partner. What happens if school lets out and the guinea pigs run out of food or water? What happens on the weekends when they will be left completely alone in a dark classroom for 2 days with no one to give them attention, take care of them, or give them food? Even if a kid takes a guinea pig home with them for the weekend, they will likely be an incompetent handler, and being moved around a lot is very bad for guinea pigs. Guineas are prey animals, and a loud environment such as a classroom is damaging. A classroom situation does not lend itself to supervised interaction at all times if they are kept within reach of the children. A well kept guinea lives 5-7 years. Will the teacher keep it for future classes? What happens over the summer? Many classroom pets are some of the most neglected and traumatized guinea pigs out there. Can teachers assure that guineas are seen, fed and watered on a daily basis including weekends and school breaks by an experienced and welfare savvy guinea pig owner who can pick up on the very subtle signs of illness early on and that they are protected from the extremes of weather (especially heat spikes and heat waves in classrooms) at all times? Can teachers assure life long weekly weigh-ins and body checks to make sure that the piggies are healthy and well cared for? Far too many guinea pigs go without feed and water over weekends. Too many vacations and breaks and weekend handling trips in the hands of inexperienced parents or teachers have fatal consequences due to lack of supervision. Guinea pig feces can also lead to a foul-smelling classroom that no one wants to be in, and that smell can spread through the whole school! Please remove any mentions of guineas in classrooms from your site immediately to prevent any more guinea pigs from being neglected in the classroom environment based off of your silly recommendation."

Most of that information I got off of this very site :^). They say they'll get back with me in 2 business days. (Sorry that this is a late post in the U.K, it's about 2:00 P.M. where I am.)

I’ve had similar experiences with pet stores
This wasn’t petsmart but they tried to convince me that a hamster ball and wheel would be great for my guinea pig. They also recommended iceberg lettuce as a daily veggie. Luckily I had read up on guinea pigs before getting rusty.

That sounds like a terrible pet shop. I've read in multiple articles that hamster balls and wheels are bad for guinea pigs. Didn't recall iceberg lettuce though, but when I do get guineas I'll check what I should feed them and how many days a week.

That sounds like a terrible pet shop. I've read in multiple articles that hamster balls and wheels are bad for guinea pigs. Didn't recall iceberg lettuce though, but when I do get guineas I'll check what I should feed them and how many days a week.
A bit out of context but when are you planning on getting them?

I went on petsmart.com today to find good things for a guinea pig cage, and I found something that was not just concerning, but distressing. It was saying that a guinea pig would be a great pet for a classroom setting. After seeing this article I immediately contacted PetSmart and said this:

"It's very concerning and distressing to me that on your website you say that guinea pigs are great for the classroom. They are not. Guinea pigs need things that cannot be provided in the classroom. They are social animals and need a guinea pig partner. What happens if school lets out and the guinea pigs run out of food or water? What happens on the weekends when they will be left completely alone in a dark classroom for 2 days with no one to give them attention, take care of them, or give them food? Even if a kid takes a guinea pig home with them for the weekend, they will likely be an incompetent handler, and being moved around a lot is very bad for guinea pigs. Guineas are prey animals, and a loud environment such as a classroom is damaging. A classroom situation does not lend itself to supervised interaction at all times if they are kept within reach of the children. A well kept guinea lives 5-7 years. Will the teacher keep it for future classes? What happens over the summer? Many classroom pets are some of the most neglected and traumatized guinea pigs out there. Can teachers assure that guineas are seen, fed and watered on a daily basis including weekends and school breaks by an experienced and welfare savvy guinea pig owner who can pick up on the very subtle signs of illness early on and that they are protected from the extremes of weather (especially heat spikes and heat waves in classrooms) at all times? Can teachers assure life long weekly weigh-ins and body checks to make sure that the piggies are healthy and well cared for? Far too many guinea pigs go without feed and water over weekends. Too many vacations and breaks and weekend handling trips in the hands of inexperienced parents or teachers have fatal consequences due to lack of supervision. Guinea pig feces can also lead to a foul-smelling classroom that no one wants to be in, and that smell can spread through the whole school! Please remove any mentions of guineas in classrooms from your site immediately to prevent any more guinea pigs from being neglected in the classroom environment based off of your silly recommendation."

Most of that information I got off of this very site :^). They say they'll get back with me in 2 business days. (Sorry that this is a late post in the U.K, it's about 2:00 P.M. where I am.)
Good on you for speaking up 😁 I’m amazed by the lack of knowledge these pet stores have, including the UK. stores too. They just want to make money and satisfy shareholders, it’s convenient for them to act dumb and give Oct misinformation

I couldn't count how many ads I have seen wanting to rehome guinea pigs when the school year is over and no one wants to take it home.

I’ve had similar experiences with pet stores
This wasn’t petsmart but they tried to convince me that a hamster ball and wheel would be great for my guinea pig. They also recommended iceberg lettuce as a daily veggie. Luckily I had read up on guinea pigs before getting rusty.
Absolute shocking. Well done hope they listened.

My first piggie was a school reject. . Took a while to get his trust.
Well done with your message. Hope that take action. :cen:

This makes my blood boil. Well done for making your opinion clear. I remember as a very young child at primary school in the 60’s we had a classroom piggie. The stink from the cage was awful and the piggie was passed from home to home during holidays. I didn’t like the piggie because I thought that the smell was how they were. I wish I’d known better but I was 6 at the time 😥

A bit out of context but when are you planning on getting them?
Some family members of mine for Christmas are giving me a cage large enough for 2 full grown boars, a pen for floor time, and a gift card to a pet shop to buy essentials for the guinea pig, then when a suitable adoption center/animal shelter opens back up from the holidays and has guinea pigs, I’ll buy them.

Some family members of mine for Christmas are giving me a cage large enough for 2 full grown boars, a pen for floor time, and a gift card to a pet shop to buy essentials for the guinea pig, then when a suitable adoption center/animal shelter opens back up from the holidays and has guinea pigs, I’ll buy them.
Oh ok that’s great! Well look forward to seeing pics:)

How sad 😞 well done on messaging them. I’d probably also add that If they are in pairs, that being passed from place to place would also make them have to keep reestablishing their bond over and over, which can be unfair on the piggies.

I hope they take your advice...

Wow, never seen anything like that from Petsmart, but yea, I agree, that's a horrible suggestion. I've had some pretty bad experiences with chain petstores, like petsmart, pet co, and pet supermarket. Pet supermarket was the worst. When I was seven, I got three hamsters from there. They had open top cages, so customers could just reach in and pick them up. There were both genders in each cage, and people kept putting them back in the wrong cage, so the hamsters were fighting a ton. And at least two people dropped the hamsters they'd picked up, and the staff did nothing about it. The three hamsters I got barely survived a week, before dying from some sort of sickness.

Wow, never seen anything like that from Petsmart, but yea, I agree, that's a horrible suggestion. I've had some pretty bad experiences with chain petstores, like petsmart, pet co, and pet supermarket. Pet supermarket was the worst. When I was seven, I got three hamsters from there. They had open top cages, so customers could just reach in and pick them up. There were both genders in each cage, and people kept putting them back in the wrong cage, so the hamsters were fighting a ton. And at least two people dropped the hamsters they'd picked up, and the staff did nothing about it. The three hamsters I got barely survived a week, before dying from some sort of sickness.
I’ve never heard of Pet Supermarket before; probably because the closest one is a 7 hour and 36 minute drive. What kind of a pet shop would have open top cages? That must be really stressful for the animals. If I saw that in any pet store, I wouldn’t go there again. PetSmart has usually been good about their suggestions, I’ve never had a bad experience like that.

I’ve never heard of Pet Supermarket before; probably because the closest one is a 7 hour and 36 minute drive. What kind of a pet shop would have open top cages? That must be really stressful for the animals. If I saw that in any pet store, I wouldn’t go there again. PetSmart has usually been good about their suggestions, I’ve never had a bad experience like that.
Petsmart is probably one of the better chain petstores, and yea, I haven't gone to Pet Supermarket since then. And I do agree that class pets can be good for the class, but only certain pets, and guinea pigs definitely aren't one of them, just because of the amount of care they require.

Back