• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

A Threat to Health?

Gia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all!
I didn't really know what category to put this thread as it is a bit unusual. My piggies and buns have been living outside in the warmer months as they seem to really enjoy it. Lately, I've noticed some cockroaches in their pen. A lot of people in my neighborhood have cockroaches and they are quite annoying. The pest guys said that they are attracted to the water in our pool and the fruit trees in our yard. We spray for them, but I won't have them spray near the animal cages since that seems really bad. They really creep me out when I go in there since they're sometimes right next to my boys. Could these cockroaches carry diseases that can transfer to my piggies and buns? Also, is there any natural way to get rid of them?

Honestly I have no idea, sorry. Hopefully someone may know the answer.

I dont know, i'd be tempted to move the pigs indoors though....

I agree with @sport_billy that I would be inclined to move them indoors. When I had outdoor piggies a few years ago, we would get spiders in the hutch but we would just leave them as they caught the flies but I have no idea about cockroaches but I don’t think
I’d want them around my guinea pigs

We have cockroaches but pet ones in tanks (part of bioactive setups) but I certainly wouldn't want them free around the pets, not wild ones anyway.

i had a rabbit and found out that her box that she sleeps in had cockroaches, i used an all natural pet safe spray to get rid of the cockroaches, and it works very well!

i had a rabbit and found out that her box that she sleeps in had cockroaches, i used an all natural pet safe spray to get rid of the cockroaches, and it works very well!
What was the spray? I really want to get rid of them!

you can usually find all natural sprays on amazon! i found some at a local store near me but they have a ton on amazon. but i have used aunt fannies roach remedy and it's on amazon. ( i dont recommend spraying while your guineas are in the cage though, but I'm sure u already knew that haha)

Reactions: Gia
We occasionally see roaches in the cage. I should tell you that the roaches are not attracted to the pool and plants in your yard, they are attracted to their poop! Many house roaches feed off of the poop left by guinea pigs (or any poop, really...). For this reason, a lot of roaches do carry diseases and illnesses because of what they feed or tread on.

I would suggest putting them into an indoor enclosure, at least temporarily until you can get rid of the roaches and perhaps find a way to insulate the hutch better so pests can stay out. Please keep in mind you may need to do a full cleaning of the hutch, as a spray may not be enough since it is outdoors. It's really important to clean and deodorize the area, since roaches tend to leave scent markings for other roaches to find the food and congregate there. And you definitely don't want it to become a potential nest for these pests!

I would also suggest roach traps in the perimeter of the hutch (if possible) where the guinea pigs and rabbits can't get to.

Best of luck to you!

We occasionally see roaches in the cage. I should tell you that the roaches are not attracted to the pool and plants in your yard, they are attracted to their poop! Many house roaches feed off of the poop left by guinea pigs (or any poop, really...). For this reason, a lot of roaches do carry diseases and illnesses because of what they feed or tread on.

I would suggest putting them into an indoor enclosure, at least temporarily until you can get rid of the roaches and perhaps find a way to insulate the hutch better so pests can stay out. Please keep in mind you may need to do a full cleaning of the hutch, as a spray may not be enough since it is outdoors. It's really important to clean and deodorize the area, since roaches tend to leave scent markings for other roaches to find the food and congregate there. And you definitely don't want it to become a potential nest for these pests!

I would also suggest roach traps in the perimeter of the hutch (if possible) where the guinea pigs and rabbits can't get to.

Best of luck to you!
Most people in our neighborhood have roaches and we've had roaches before piggies, so I'm not sure if it's the poop. The city will bomb the drains because that's where they come from. I just want to get rid of them.

I was cleaning out my hucthes the other day and found a massive huntsman spider, I FREAKED out. (I have a massive phobia of spiders lol). I went to get someone to kill it but when I returned it had disappeared. Luckily huntsmen are harmless, but man are they ugly!

I was cleaning out my hucthes the other day and found a massive huntsman spider, I FREAKED out. (I have a massive phobia of spiders lol). I went to get someone to kill it but when I returned it had disappeared. Luckily huntsmen are harmless, but man are they ugly!

Aw no, you should leave the spiders alone in hutches as they catch and eat any flies :)

Just the word spider and I'm like :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Back