• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

A Warning About Tap Water In Certain Areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think the other half would be at all happy if i suggested buying bottled water for the piggies... i drink our tap water and that parasite thing seems localised... best not to think about bugs in water :vom::vom:

We all know how sensitive our piggies tummies can be, so it's always worth knowing if there's a problem, then if need be we can take extra precautions. Sooner overkill than a vet visit, and bottled water really doesn't cost that much (Tesco basic, 25p for 2 litres).

• A while ago when all this water whaching first started l bought a lage capacety , britta , then l read an artical (one of many) the dangers of filltering water
I was shocked when l did a ph test ,

My filter is now stored in a cubord

Last edited:
  • A while ago when all this water whaching first started l bought a lage capacety , britta , then l read an artical (one of many) the dangers of filltering water
I was shocked when l did a ph test ,

My filter is now stored in a cubord

Oh, what did u read as I have used one for years and will always give my piggies water from it since limescale in my area (central London) is off the scale.

Since i read some of the reports against , it put me rite off,

Aparentaly , filltering water can strip minerals like magnesium ,

Aparentalt magneseum is very inportant as the pigs body needs magnesiom
To prosses the calsium , l am not shur of the scinece behind it , but there is plentey of reports on the web
A bit of a cach 22 situation .

Since i read some of the reports against , it put me rite off,

Aparentaly , filltering water can strip minerals like magnesium ,

Aparentalt magneseum is very inportant as the pigs body needs magnesiom
To prosses the calsium , l am not shur of the scinece behind it , but there is plentey of reports on the web
A bit of a cach 22 situation .

I would have thought that the food they (or we) eat could supplement the magnesium we need.

You could always buy this filter as it adds the magnesium to the water

though I read the amount it adds is 20% of your RDA so I'm sure this could be substituted through food. I imagine too much magnesium is not good for you like everything else. The cartridges cost a little more than Brita Maxtra cartridges, if you use those, so it might be a better replacement for them. If you use the cheapo generic filter cartridges like me then it will be much more expensive but still a better product. I am considering getting one but I am in love with my filter jug as it is a special designer glass blown one from Stadler Form and I will have to get rid of it after all these years...perhaps I can sell it on eBay as it's not sold anymore lol

lisa_1.jpg

Last edited:
I'd rather substitute magnesium than risk a bacteria like described, making my guinea pigs ill. The water situation is temp, so we're not looking at long term here, if you choose to return to tap water.
Rta, bare this in mind, there is a lot of chemicals going in tap water to make it safe for us humans to drink, plus you have hard water and soft water, which we can't use either direct for our fish tanks (has to have chlorine removed first). In the wild, piggies only have dew and rain water, o'natural.

Let me put it this way. Nature intended for animals to drink from natural water sources, and for some reason, us humans can't do that. Ever wondered why, and how did we manage in the days before water treatment?
New developments now state that most house plants thrive better on just rain water, not via tap as previously thought. Now, I wonder where filtered rain water fits in. Us fish owners have to ve extremely careful not to expose fish to water straight from the tap. They recommend a minimum of 12 hours stood, if not using checmicals, to allow chlorine to dissipate (bucket to remain uncovered).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back