• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abdomen pulsing

sushiandsole

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello, my guinea pig is a 3 and a half year old male. He never had health issues. Today I noticed that his abdomen is pulsing like a heartbeat and I've never seen him doing that. He eats like he's always done, he eats hay and vegetables, he drinks, he moves and jumps and everything. He just has this weird movement which I can't figure out. Can you tell me what this is about or what can I do? I can't go to the vet today. Thank you.

Is it possible to post a video? If you upload it to YouTube and share a link here.
I’m wondering if what you are seeing is diaphragmatic breathing (heavy breathing that you can see along the sides of the abdomen). If so, then it needs a vet trip. But to be honest, I’m just speculating

Hello, my guinea pig is a 3 and a half year old male. He never had health issues. Today I noticed that his abdomen is pulsing like a heartbeat and I've never seen him doing that. He eats like he's always done, he eats hay and vegetables, he drinks, he moves and jumps and everything. He just has this weird movement which I can't figure out. Can you tell me what this is about or what can I do? I can't go to the vet today. Thank you.

If you are seeing very noticeable breathing from the sides of the body, then please see a vet as quickly as you can.

We can't tell you more just going by your word and we can't replace a vet visit.

I agree with the others.
Any obvious change in behaviour does need a trip to the vet for a proper diagnosis.
Hopefully it is something simple and has been detected early enough that it will be quickly sorted.

If you are seeing very noticeable breathing from the sides of the body, then please see a vet as quickly as you can.

We can't tell you more just going by your word and we can't replace a vet visit.
I was able to take him to the vet and she told me he's suffering from pneumonia. I was told to feed him with a syringe, which I'm doing, and I'm giving him all of the medications she told me to. My problem now is that he's completely constipated and he's not walking at all, feeding him is getting harder because of his breathing issues. Do you have suggestions to help him walk and stop his constipation? I feel like he's slowly dying and I have no idea how to help him

I was able to take him to the vet and she told me he's suffering from pneumonia. I was told to feed him with a syringe, which I'm doing, and I'm giving him all of the medications she told me to. My problem now is that he's completely constipated and he's not walking at all, feeding him is getting harder because of his breathing issues. Do you have suggestions to help him walk and stop his constipation? I feel like he's slowly dying and I have no idea how to help him

Hi!

Which country are you in and how long has your piggy been on antibiotics? They take at least a day to really start kicking in.
If possible try to contact your vet again or an out-of-hours vet if you have them in your country.

Guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation. If there are no poos then it is either from lack of food over the last couple of days or because the gut has stopped working (GI stasis = no gurgling).

All you can do is try your best but pneumonia is unfortunately one of the killing diseases so you are up against it. The guides will hopefully help you to do what you can do but also to know when you have crossed the point of no return. It is always very difficult in a life or death fight; and it is a rather lonely place to be in.

Try to see whether a bowl of steaming water is easing the breathing a little; if yes try a session on a dry towel in a steamed up shower.

Please take the time to read these guides here; they contain hopefully all the necessary practical information.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment (includes syringe feeding advice)

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

Hi!

Which country are you in and how long has your piggy been on antibiotics? They take at least a day to really start kicking in.
If possible try to contact your vet again or an out-of-hours vet if you have them in your country.

Guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation. If there are no poos then it is either from lack of food over the last couple of days or because the gut has stopped working (GI stasis = no gurgling).

All you can do is try your best but pneumonia is unfortunately one of the killing diseases so you are up against it. The guides will hopefully help you to do what you can do but also to know when you have crossed the point of no return. It is always very difficult in a life or death fight; and it is a rather lonely place to be in.

Try to see whether a bowl of steaming water is easing the breathing a little; if yes try a session on a dry towel in a steamed up shower.

Please take the time to read these guides here; they contain hopefully all the necessary practical information.
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment (includes syringe feeding advice)

Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
I live in Italy, the medicines I got have different names but they're the same types as the ones that are described in the guides. Unfortunately we don't have out of hours vets and it's currently night time.
I reached out for the vet and I'm waiting for her response. Thank you for your help, I really hope my guinea pig can still be saved.

I live in Italy, the medicines I got have different names but they're the same types as the ones that are described in the guides. Unfortunately we don't have out of hours vets and it's currently night time.
I reached out for the vet and I'm waiting for her response. Thank you for your help, I really hope my guinea pig can still be saved.

Fingers firmly crossed!

I have given you the whole width of advice that we can provide because I know from my own experiences over the years how hard and lonely it is when you have a very ill piggy on your hands overnight without vet access.

I have written the guides to help people in those situations when nobody is around to have some kind of practical guidance whichever way the crisis runs.

It would help us a lot if you please added your country to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username on the top bar). This makes it appear with every post you make and allows us to tailor any advice and recommendations in a way that helps you best with just a quick glance to the left. We have members and enquiries from all over the world. Medical brand names especially can vary enormously from country to country.

Hang on in there and be there for your piggy. If desperation overwhelms you try to imagine that you are still floating your piggy on a little safe raft on the surface of the emotions that drown you and that you can still gentle guide it across the lake even when you yourself have to use a snorkel. Be strong for the one you care for!

Back