• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

? about "lethal" guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
hi i have a Pew female that had 2 babies 2 days ago 1 was black n seemed ok but died 2day, and the other is white like her(the mother), but it was born with only 1 eye open and 2 days have gone by and the eye still wont open. ive been told it may have something to do with the lethal gene white guinea pigs pass. i havent seen the pup nurse very much at all and its very tiny... seems to walk around ok.. a little hobbling n falling over but not that much. its not eating any solids either. ive heard they should take some solids when born. I'm just worried about that eye not open and not enough nourishment.. I'm scared of not having $ for vet visit if i have a vet that will see a guinea pig.

The leathal gene is to do with dalmation and roan markings when two pigs with these characteristics are bred together. Of course on a white guinea pig you cannot be sure if he/she has roaning or not so it is possible. Lethal babies tend to have small or in some cases no eyes.

Info here
http://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#blindness

mother
14.jpg
baby
13.jpg
the eye still wont open and i cant find anything about 1 eye being completely closed. i did manage to lift the eye open a tiny bit n did see the eyeball it looked normal inside, but the eye wont stay open.

sorry you lost one, I can not offer advise but best of luck to you and your new pup, if unsure check with a vet.

Sorry to hear about one of the babies dying and the problems you are having with the other. Wish I could offer advice but I am new to guinea pigs.

Have things improved?

have you tried maybe bathing the eye with a cotton wool bud in warm water?it might encourage it to open the eye if you motivate it

hi, i have 2 lethal piggies, i has a very small eye and is tiny, but she eats loads and the other has only one tooth at the top and no bottom teeth, it now seems that she is blind as her eyes are very opaque. i hand feed her every night as i am not sure that she is getting the vitamins that she needs to keep herself fit. she is growing into a lovely little lady, she has a few problems, with her coat and probably regular trips to the vet for "tooth clipping", but she is growing stronger day by day. i can't offer any real advice, except my own personal experience. i am really glad that i perserverred with this little lady, and went to another vet for a second opinion. she is worth the anguish she caused in the early days. our thoughts and prayers are with you and your little babies at this time, and we really hope that there is a happy outcome. :... :(

thank you every1.. I'm trying so hard. it DOES have teeth. yes ive tried parsley n the only think its suckled on a tiny bit is a piece of orange, thats the most solid it will take, but not but 1 or 2 lil nibbles of it, its still very unsteady, I'm thinking something neurologically along with "lethal". i pray not all that, its still latching to the mother but only for a 1 or 2. shes shown little interest. ive been giving evaporated milk n water with soaked mashed pellets. its takin some.

Today was hard it wouldnt take much of anything and.. a little while ago it was just laying there. its still so skinny i can its bone structure. for the 1st time 2day i got it 2 use the bathroom n it wasnt normal looking. i hate to have to be graphic.

i lost the 2 lil 1 late lastnight.. it couldnt fight anymore........8...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back