• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess opened up - advice please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

max-mama

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Charlie's abscess probably hasn't got to be lanced after all as it opened by itself - I squeezed lots of puss out this morning (all on an empty stomach...) until there was just blood coming. I haven't got any antiseptic solution here so I just used salted water. I seperated Charlie from his wifes, he is on our bathroom floor now (we have got quite a large bathroom) on towels in a house now with food and hay. I haven't really got a 2nd cage and thought it might be better that way as no bedding would get into his wound. What do you think? I will try and get some antiseptic solution from the pharmacy today, but will take him to the vet tomorrow anyway as his teeth need sorting out (the abscess probably was tooth related). I will try and squeeze some more puss out later. We have got Baytril anyway so that is good. Anything else I could / should be doing today? Thanks for your help! Marion:{

When my boy had an abscess I was lucky that I got all the pus out of it the first time. I just kept it clean, using hibiscrub 3 times a day and dosed him on Baytril for 2 weeks. It just cleared up by itself. Try and keep it open so you can make sure it doesn't heal over leaving pus inside. I hope your boy is ok. Good luck :)

Thanks, yes Charlie is much better, thanks. I squeeze his abscess twice a day and clean it up with antispetic. I took him to the vets yesterday and he clipped the area under his chin so it is easier to keep clean. He also clipped his teets so hopefully he can eat better now and the abscess won't return. He is still on antibiotics for another 10 days and the vet wants to see him again in a week. How is your guinea and where was his/her abscess? Marion x

My boy got an abscess after his neutering op. I took him to the vets because of the lump and they put a needle in to see if it was an abscess or not. That was what caused it to open up. Luckily I managed to get all the pus out on the first day, then he was just on the Baytril for 2 weeks and I kept squeezing and cleaning it to make sure, but it all cleared up very nicely.

I'm glad Charlie is feeling better. Hopefully it will all heal very nicely...just keep squeezing and cleaning :)) Poor Archie got very fed up of me prodding and poking his man parts after a while :))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back