• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess surgery aftercare?

AnonymousPigParent

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, quick background information before I explain my questions:

For the last four weeks I’ve been seeing various vets and trying almost every topical treatment available to treat an abscess.

Today, I saw an experienced exotic vet and the abscess was removed surgically, along with a good chunk of her back. The current diagnosis is caused by fur mites (not touching the skin, no redness or rash just itching.) Which I’ll also be treating the other two in my herd for due to similar symptoms shown, discussion with vet & a special disinfectant prescribed.

The stitches are dissolvable, the pig is in a separate sterile enclosure. With a vetwrap bandage so she can’t keep biting/scratching the area.

What I’m worried about at the moment is the likelihood we’ll have to go to a vet I simply don’t trust with even a basic check up, to be instructed over the phone by a professional how to drain any excess natural fluid built up/fill in that will probably come as it heals.

If it’s allowed, I’ll attach a photo of the current state of the area.(?)

Currently, she’s on 0.3ml of painkillers twice a day for the first five days (both of today’s doses have gone well) and important detail to add isI was warned she could be sleepy and scared when returned to us but she was perfectly awake, eating properly and cleaning herself. Is this normal or..?

Basically, is there any way I can prevent the fluid filling? And if it comes, can I drain it at home safely or will it fester? Should I clean the area lightly with Luke warm water on a soft cotton pad or leave the tinge of blood and stitches just change the bandage and bedding as often as to keep her clean?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, quick background information before I explain my questions:

For the last four weeks I’ve been seeing various vets and trying almost every topical treatment available to treat an abscess.

Today, I saw an experienced exotic vet and the abscess was removed surgically, along with a good chunk of her back. The current diagnosis is caused by fur mites (not touching the skin, no redness or rash just itching.) Which I’ll also be treating the other two in my herd for due to similar symptoms shown, discussion with vet & a special disinfectant prescribed.

The stitches are dissolvable, the pig is in a separate sterile enclosure. With a vetwrap bandage so she can’t keep biting/scratching the area.

What I’m worried about at the moment is the likelihood we’ll have to go to a vet I simply don’t trust with even a basic check up, to be instructed over the phone by a professional how to drain any excess natural fluid built up/fill in that will probably come as it heals.

If it’s allowed, I’ll attach a photo of the current state of the area.(?)

Currently, she’s on 0.3ml of painkillers twice a day for the first five days (both of today’s doses have gone well) and important detail to add isI was warned she could be sleepy and scared when returned to us but she was perfectly awake, eating properly and cleaning herself. Is this normal or..?

Basically, is there any way I can prevent the fluid filling? And if it comes, can I drain it at home safely or will it fester? Should I clean the area lightly with Luke warm water on a soft cotton pad or leave the tinge of blood and stitches just change the bandage and bedding as often as to keep her clean?

Thanks in advance for your time and help!
Hi

Since the whole abscess capsule has been removed, you can follow the tips on our post-op care guide: Tips For Post-operative Care

The behaviour is good for this stage; what you expect for this stage of the recovery.

A build of fluid is not uncommon post op and is harmless; the fluid will often just disperse on its own. You may want to have your piggy vet checked however that any lump is just fluid and not a hematoma (collection of blood) or an infection/abscess. Drainage of a large fluid-filled area happens via a large syringe and should no require full GA.

Freela

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If they removed the entire abscess, including the walls of the capsule, there shouldn't be any refilling or need for draining. If you see any swelling, oozing, opening of the wound, etc., see your vet, but otherwise hopefully you can just sit back and let this one heal. Abscesses that are opened and drained, but leave the capsule intact and are left open, need aftercare and flushing, but fingers crossed once the capsule is gone you're done with the whole ordeal. One of my past pigs, Linney, had a cyst or abscess removed from her back and healed up fine, no aftercare needed. Hope yours is the same!