• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess

Jennifer1981

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guinea pig had an abscess the size of a golf ball on his neck. We took him to the vet and they lanced and drained it. Oh it was the stinkest thing ever. My question is how do you keep his abscess site clean. Please any advice would certainly be appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.2 KB · Views: 3
Yeah, they sure do stink, don't they? Did they leave the abscess open after lancing it? Your best bet to keep it clean is to irrigate it with sterile saline or an antiseptic solution with a syringe a couple of times a day and express any pus that builds up. If the wounds starts to scab over, you may have to open it again to keep on cleaning... I usually put peroxide on the scab, which foams up and softens the scab and makes it easier and painless to remove. Abscesses can take some time to clear up, the best thing is to keep them open, keep on flushing them, treat with an antibiotic, and let them heal from the inside out. Did your vet give you an antibiotic for aftercare? Zithromax is recommended for stubborn abscesses, though other antibiotics are also sometimes given.

Yeah, they sure do stink, don't they? Did they leave the abscess open after lancing it? Your best bet to keep it clean is to irrigate it with sterile saline or an antiseptic solution with a syringe a couple of times a day and express any pus that builds up. If the wounds starts to scab over, you may have to open it again to keep on cleaning... I usually put peroxide on the scab, which foams up and softens the scab and makes it easier and painless to remove. Abscesses can take some time to clear up, the best thing is to keep them open, keep on flushing them, treat with an antibiotic, and let them heal from the inside out. Did your vet give you an antibiotic for aftercare? Zithromax is recommended for stubborn abscesses, though other antibiotics are also sometimes given.
Thank you so much for the advice I really appreciate it.

Back