• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Abscess

miloandhugo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I’m back again,

following a full recovery from his previous illness, my boar developed an abscess which was lanced at the vet today. I’ve heard all about the properties of Manuka honey and the benefits it has when healing open wounds. I was wondering what kinds are suitable for guinea pigs and which ones you guys recommend. It seems hard to get in the UK and he really needs it ASAP.
Any tips about healing an abscess would also be appreciated :) am bathing in salt water twice a day and he is on baytril again. thank you!

sorry to hear about your little guy’s illnesses.

Depending on where the abscess is and the type it is, a dual approach of antibiotics and lancing is sometimes required. It may also need regular draining.

Hope he feels better soon!

sorry to hear about your little guy’s illnesses.

Depending on where the abscess is and the type it is, a dual approach of antibiotics and lancing is sometimes required. It may also need regular draining.

Hope he feels better soon!

thankyou! He is also on antibiotics and it has been lanced so yeah just not sure on how to help it heal well

We used Manuka honey to dry up a big post surgery abscess removal wound after Tallulah skinny pig had a very rare allergic reaction to her sutures and ended up with a big open sore the size of a 2p coin on her neck. The manuka honey has a pharmaceutical grade prescription product from the vet, so if you are thinking of using it do speak to the vet first- I think if it is just shop bought honey it may not be sterile, and I think if it is used too soon the abscess could heal on the surface but leave infection deeper down, then the abscess would just refill and come back and need opening again... I think it is really a helping the hole heal after the deep infection is drained or removed thing.

I used manuka honey, pharmaceutical grade too, with my Pedro the chin with his (horrendous!) abscess and I used it with my Sheepy the pig too when he had one many years ago (both after surgery with them).
I’d definitely speak to your vet too before using it as @PigglePuggle says above. But it really helped with the healing with my boys in the past so I’d definitely recommend, theirs were slightly problematic(!) though!

It is important to keep an abscess open and to flush it twice daily, while it heals from the inside, outwards. Baytril really isn't the best antibiotic for dealing with abscesses and I would recommend either Zithromax (azithromycin) or a combination of Marbocyl and Metronidazole. Speak to your vet before using manuka honey as you are going to need a medical grade one.

It is important to keep an abscess open and to flush it twice daily, while it heals from the inside, outwards. Baytril really isn't the best antibiotic for dealing with abscesses and I would recommend either Zithromax (azithromycin) or a combination of Marbocyl and Metronidazole. Speak to your vet before using manuka honey as you are going to need a medical grade one.
Thank you. I’ve been advised by my vet just to bathe it in salt water twice a day and the cut they made is quite small so I’m having trouble seeing if it’s still open. Going to have a look and see if there are any scabs. He wants me to take my pig back to the vets early next week to have the abscess flushed so not sure whether to just keep bathing it until he sees him or to try and flush it.

We used Manuka honey to dry up a big post surgery abscess removal wound after Tallulah skinny pig had a very rare allergic reaction to her sutures and ended up with a big open sore the size of a 2p coin on her neck. The manuka honey has a pharmaceutical grade prescription product from the vet, so if you are thinking of using it do speak to the vet first- I think if it is just shop bought honey it may not be sterile, and I think if it is used too soon the abscess could heal on the surface but leave infection deeper down, then the abscess would just refill and come back and need opening again... I think it is really a helping the hole heal after the deep infection is drained or removed thing.
Okay thank you I will speak to my vet before using anything!

Back