• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Abused Guinea Pig

Philippa98

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I hope this is in the right section as I don't really know what it would go under.
I have had a male Guinea pig for almost a year called George, he is very happy and healthy, he is a lone Guinea pig as I rescued him.
I've read a lot that they should always have a friend and not be alone, so I looked into it and rescued a baby Guinea pig recently. This new one was very badly abused and ignored.
My Guinea pig George is freaking out. They are in separate cages and aren't that close to each other yet, but when he hears him he starts to stomp. I don't think he's very happy with him. I know it's rare but maybe he is happy on his own..
I don't know what to do with the other Guinea pig, do I look after it until its happy and then if they still don't get on find it a new home? Or do I find it a new home now so it doesn't get used to us. Any advice welcome
Thank you x

I hope this is in the right section as I don't really know what it would go under.
I have had a male Guinea pig for almost a year called George, he is very happy and healthy, he is a lone Guinea pig as I rescued him.
I've read a lot that they should always have a friend and not be alone, so I looked into it and rescued a baby Guinea pig recently. This new one was very badly abused and ignored.
My Guinea pig George is freaking out. They are in separate cages and aren't that close to each other yet, but when he hears him he starts to stomp. I don't think he's very happy with him. I know it's rare but maybe he is happy on his own..
I don't know what to do with the other Guinea pig, do I look after it until its happy and then if they still don't get on find it a new home? Or do I find it a new home now so it doesn't get used to us. Any advice welcome
Thank you x

Hi and welcome!

Please give your boys time to settle down and get to know each other and try no to misinterpret any behaviours before you even start. It is much more likely that George is overexcited at having another piggy in the house. If he is rumbling and stomping from one back foot to the other, then that is extremely normal boar behaviour (rumble-strutting; letting the other boar know that he is the dominant boar to measure up to him) and just what I would expect to see! ;)

You may want to read these guides here:
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

Bonding: Illustrated Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

They are all part of our new owners guide collection, which comprises more helpful guides: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Unfortunately, we can't help your further unless you give us an idea where in the world you are since conditions, access to good rescues, vets etc. vary widely from country to country or even from region to region.
Since we have got members and enquiries from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details so we can always tailor any advice to what is relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to account details and then down to location. This makes it appear with every post you make and saves everybody time. Thank you!

Thank you for all the help I've read some of the guides. I really don't think George is over excited at all. He's been on his own for a long time I think he likes his own company now and we bother with him a lot we play with him and interact with him at least 4-5 hours a day. I'm really concerned I don't have the time to give this new piggy the care he needs. I haven't tried picking him up and I have offered him veg but he bites my hand away. I think he's really scared and not in a great way.
I have updated my location.

Thank you for all the help I've read some of the guides. I really don't think George is over excited at all. He's been on his own for a long time I think he likes his own company now and we bother with him a lot we play with him and interact with him at least 4-5 hours a day. I'm really concerned I don't have the time to give this new piggy the care he needs. I haven't tried picking him up and I have offered him veg but he bites my hand away. I think he's really scared and not in a great way.
I have updated my location.

Recommended Guinea Pig Rescues

I am also linking in our closest members with good standard rescue connections for you. Please keep in mind that this is a weekend!

@Merrypigs Sanctuary, @VickiA/The Potteries GPR(South Lancs.)
@Stewybus/Tees Valley GPR (North Lancs.)

Last edited:
The Potteries GPR based in Kidsgrove is currently full. But if you email Helen the manager [email protected] I am sure she will put your young pig on the list to come in to the rescue.
When you email please ensure that you provide his age, sex, name, any health or behavioural issues and details of his status -ie has he ever lived with other piggies etc?

Thank you. After a few days he seems to be a lot better eating more and he comes out of his bedroom in the day, still not keen on taking any food off me. We're just going to see how he gets on

Thank you. After a few days he seems to be a lot better eating more and he comes out of his bedroom in the day, still not keen on taking any food off me. We're just going to see how he gets on

Be patient; it can take a while to bring a piggy not used to friendly human interaction and running fully on prey animal instincts around. You are doing great!

my situation is completely different but i’m abit stumped on what to do, i’ve brought a guinea pig from a lady on preloved.com and when i got her she was literally in the tiniest cage with another boy guinea pig, and i didn’t think anything of it but i got home and I realised she wasn’t in good shape (one of the things i realised is that in the cage there was no water bottle, so as soon as bella (the new guinea pig) got to my house and i put her in the cage she drunk over half of a large water bottle) and I took her to the vets on saturday and they said that she had the terrible case of the mites 😢 basically what i’m worried about is the other boy that was with bella and i just wanted some advice on what to do, i can’t buy him because i have two girls and also my mum wouldn’t allow a third guinea pig but i do want to do something, my friend keeps assuming that they were abused because they smell really bad and they were very thin and had mites but i’m not sure

Back