• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Acceptable to keep an aggressive pig alone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I know it's usually better to have guinea pigs in pairs or groups but I was wondering if it was acceptable to keep a guinea pig alone? The thing is, the rescue where I got my boys from last year have some aggressive boars who fight with any other guinea pigs (blood has been drawn) and they seem a lot happier being alone.

So my question is, if the guinea pig is aggressive to all other pigs and prefers to be alone, is it acceptable to do so? Or should you still try and mix them with other pigs?

Curious as I'm interested in adopting one of these boars. :)

There are guinea pigs of either sex who do not get along with others of any gender or age, usually not for lack of trying when they are lucky enough to end up in a rescue!

On the whole, these piggies seem to be most happy when they have their very own space, but next door to others so they can still interact with their own kind.

If you want to give one of these a loving home, that would be great! xx>>>

most of my pigs now live alone, but they live next door to each other and can see and smell and annoy each other through the c and c. Although it is obviously much better to have pairs or more, i think as long as they get some interaction with other pigs, they do perfectly fine.
Neutering is the main option really as an aggressive boar may benefit from having a wife to keep him in line.
note, neutering has NO effect on behaviour or aggressiveness in pigs. just literally stops the juice. :)

I have an old cage that I'm wondering is an ok size for just the one lone boar. I know it's rather small but I'd also be buying a run for during the day.

It's around 3'2 long and 1'9 wide.

I think a pig who lives alone should not have a smaller cage than a pair. A lone pig needs tunnels, hay piles and hideys even more because he won't have a friend to get him moving. Also, to be able to popcorn or run laps you need the sama space for one as for two pigs.

There are boars who don't mix and if they are too poorly or too old to be neutered I think it's acceptable for them to live alone, but even then I think they should at least have a chance to interact through bars with other pigs.

i just separated one boar from my other two. i didn't think he was aggressive to start with, i thought they were just trying to establish dominance (he was mounting and humping) and he's 4 months old, a hormonal age i guess. i was reluctant to separate him as he lived with one of the other boars before but he ended up biting him :/ and i do feel really guilty that i let it get that far. he can still smell and hear the other two and although it's only been a couple of days, he seems ok on his own.

I have a boar living alone. He came with my Swiss Bumble but was bullying him, not letting him get food, bit him on the nose - it wasn't working so we split them up.

Bumble craves company so he has been snipped and has a young lady lined up who he has met through bars several times and goes ballistic when he smells her and she does the same, they lick each other and wheek at each other :) so I'm hoping this means the bonding will go very well!

JoJo however has absolutely NO interest in any other guineas! He has been in a run with a grid separating him and my two girls, they came to say hello, he ran off (Whiskey seemed very offended as she likes attention!). Put Bumble in to say hello, Bumble tried to be friends again, JoJo rumbled aggresively then ran off. Put Dodge, my other boy, in, JoJo rumbled and then ran off!

Since being alone he has become friendlier, tamer, wheeks more and has been seen popcorning. His hutch has a wooden log arch he sleeps in, plus a tunnel and two play balls and a hay rack which he says its GREAT to throw on the floor (tsk!). He can see and hear all my others but doesn't seem too interested in them!

So yes I believe some guineas are happier alone but it is worth trying to see if they would like a friend first, and when alone they do need more toys etc. as skrikopanik says.

I've just separated Christopher after he and Gizmo had a fight. I got the two of them out together today as Christopher seems desperate to get back into the cage and he was horrible to Gizmo who was sitting quietly on my lap. My OH had Christopher and he was teeth chattering at him really aggressively. We then gave him some play time with Nigel as Nigel is much more chilled out and he was horrible to him too!

I don't like the thought of him living alone but he just seems so aggressive, maybe I can neuter him and get him a girlfriend. He ha also turned into spider pig lately and is managing to some how get on top of his cage and sits staring into the other cage.

Hiya i have 6 single boys at the moment. I can honestly say 2 of them have no interest in other piggies in their space. they all live in a piggie shed and their nero 3 cages are next to each other so the see and squeek but we have tried to bond on several occasions but honsetly the 2 are happy alone. put another pig in the run and they just ignore them then get ratty and nippy when they get near! can;t remeber the exact measurements of the Nero 3 but they are all happy in them and get plenty of floor time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back