• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Acting strange

maeganjean2252

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig Simon I adopted in September, I adopted him and his brother, who died in early December due to a respiratory problem. I housed Simon alone for a few months, but in March, my friend was needing a home for her guinea pig who she couldn’t care for anymore and I offered to adopt him. His name is Ralph. He is obviously bigger than Simon and old, so when I went through the introduction process I was cautious but he’s just a big teddy bear and the two got along fine. When they first met they were purring and following each other and after a while I moved them in together. Now recently whenever I approach they cage or go to pet Simon he chatters his teeth at me, and I’m not sure why since he was never like this before. Usually he would let me pick him up but now he chatters at me. He doesn’t do it to Ralph, just me. And I was wondering why he is doing this all of a sudden?

Teeth chattering is usually a sign of mild displeasure. Mine do it if their veg is late or if I am doing something they aren’t keen on. If you can identify what the trigger is for the teeth chattering you can work out what to do about it to help reassure the piggies that all is well.
Here is a guide to piggy whispering which explains some of their behaviour and how to reassure them. Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Is he fine otherwise? Sometimes they get more confident of showing their true feelings as they get to trust you. I know my Bobby chatters if I don't get him first time and he realises that I'm going to lift him.... But then he's a grumpy old so and so at the best of times.

My guinea pig Simon I adopted in September, I adopted him and his brother, who died in early December due to a respiratory problem. I housed Simon alone for a few months, but in March, my friend was needing a home for her guinea pig who she couldn’t care for anymore and I offered to adopt him. His name is Ralph. He is obviously bigger than Simon and old, so when I went through the introduction process I was cautious but he’s just a big teddy bear and the two got along fine. When they first met they were purring and following each other and after a while I moved them in together. Now recently whenever I approach they cage or go to pet Simon he chatters his teeth at me, and I’m not sure why since he was never like this before. Usually he would let me pick him up but now he chatters at me. He doesn’t do it to Ralph, just me. And I was wondering why he is doing this all of a sudden?

Simon is a happily bonded boy and doesn't want you to interfere...

Did you do the bonding in one go (as you should) or in lots of little meetings (which force the boys to start back in square one every time and can be very frustrating for the boys)?

Please follow our piggy whispering tips to assert your dominance by inviting him into your 'superpiggy' group but also ensure him of your love in ways that and in a frame that makes sense to him. That is why it is surprisingly effective! ;)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...ho-is-the-boss-your-guinea-pig-or-you.167931/

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Back