• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adding a 4th guinea pig to our herd

Kawts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all!
We have 3 guinea pigs right now that are in a c&c cage, 16 sqft on the ground level and 5 sqft on their loft. So total, 21 sqft (I apologize for the American units).

We have three females right now and are thinking of adopting a neutered male. Do you guys think this is an appropriately sized cage for four of them?

thanks!

The upper level does not count towards the cage size, it’s a bonus space only but can’t be added to the total size, so your cage is 16 sq ft, not 21.

This is our Cage Size Guide. For four piggies you need a 6x2 c&c (on one level)

The upper level does not count towards the cage size, it’s a bonus space only but can’t be added to the total size, so your cage is 16 sq ft, not 21.

This is our Cage Size Guide. For four piggies you need a 6x2 c&c (on one level)
Ours is 6x2 on the bottom floor. I don’t completely understand the cage size guide for four piggies. Is that the minimum size or the recommended?

Ours is 6x2 on the bottom floor. I don’t completely understand the cage size guide for four piggies. Is that the minimum size or the recommended?

That’s fine then, a 6x2 is big enough for four.

The minimum size for two sows is 120cm x 60cm, you then add in another 30cm x 60cm for every piggy after that, making the welfare minimum size of 180cm x 60cm for four piggies which is the equivalent of a 5x2 c&c.

The recommended size for two sows is 150cm x 60cm (which is a 2x4 c&c), you then add in 1x2 for every extra piggy making a 5x2 for three piggies and a 6x2 for four piggies.

It looks like 2x7 is best for four pigs. Remember you still want some space once you put in hides etc.

That’s fine then, a 6x2 is big enough for four.

The minimum size for two sows is 120cm x 60cm, you then add in another 30cm x 60cm for every piggy after that, making the welfare minimum size of 180cm x 60cm for four piggies which is the equivalent of a 5x2 c&c.

The recommended size for two sows is 150cm x 60cm (which is a 2x4 c&c), you then add in 1x2 for every extra piggy making a 5x2 for three piggies and a 6x2 for four piggies.
Thank you!

So happy for you- we currently have a neutered male in his 6 week postop wait to go in with three girls :)

So happy for you- we currently have a neutered male in his 6 week postop wait to go in with three girls :)
Good luck! Tell me how the introduction goes 😊 I’m very curious what Nilla (our dominant one) will do with a male around

I always prefer to have a neutered boar in with a group of ladies. They can calm the group down, I have seen boars get in between squabbles before. it makes for a very stable herd environment..unless you have Heath, my current boar whose main interest in life is eating and sleeping! :love::doh:

Good luck! Tell me how the introduction goes 😊 I’m very curious what Nilla (our dominant one) will do with a male around
I'll post about it as it happens I'm sure! Same with our Mildred, she used to mount our last male but I never saw him mount her 😂😂

Back