• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adding A New Guinea Pig

She i have to dominant females in the same cage even with a separater in the middle?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

monster

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I currently lost one of my guinea pigs last friday and i realized that i only had 2 and i lost one my newest guinea pig cammie was gunna be all alone and she has gotten depressed she doesnt coo no more for me or my bf or my cousin and she isnt that talkitive any more that i should get another one. i found 2 different young females last nite and i found out one of them likes to show dominance and she likes to be the dominant guinea pig and cammie is all ready like that. What are the risks of having to female guinea pigs that like to be the dominant female??
:help::help::help::help::(:ple:

I don't know what resources are available to you since you are not in the UK (I'm not either) and there are a lot of shelters there that allow you to "date" your existing sow and a possible new one to test out a possible new relationship. If I were in your shoes I would find any local shelters that have guinea pigs, maybe your local city or county's shelter or a humane society and see if they will work with you on trying a new match. If there aren't any guinea pigs available for adoption, this is probably not recommended and frowned upon because this forum is very adoption friendly I would go to a local pet store and find a baby guinea pig much smaller in size. Your existing sow might take well to having a baby sow because her dominance won't be threatened. But only look into buying if you really have no adoption options.

well i did find another one and this one is i think 3 maybe 4 months old an she is very laid back the other one likes to establish dominance and i all ready have a very dominant female she pushed around my older 9 year old guinea pig around and kept shoving her aside alot and kind of ramming into her a lot so idk if having to rly dominant females is ok to have in the same cage

and cammie was like this before my oldest passed away last friday

You need to introduce them on neutral grounds and let them sort out hierarchy. If after a few days you still see that they aren't getting along you might end up with two guinea pigs that need to be in separate cages. Please read this thread on bonding sows, there are a lot of very useful threads on bonding.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/illustrated-bonding-behaviours-and-dynamics.128361/

This is another useful thread on sow behavior, I personally have only had boys and I've had to bond on two occasions, first two bond Maximus to Reptar and then to bond Leonidas with Reptar and Maximus. The information I read bonding by Wiebke helped me a lot. Because I've only bonded boys I don't know how different it is with sows.

https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back