• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adding a sow to my boar

Lawsii15

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Good evening all, I've just bought a baby boar and have been reading that they are very social animals and was thinking about getting a sow since boars don't get along. However, I don't want her to keep getting pregnant so was thinking about spaying her. Is this possible? Will it change their potential for bonding? Thanks!

Boars most definitely do get along and they can have wonderful friendships, it comes down to character compatibility and their personalities, I have two beautiful boys who get along just fine. Don’t rule them out :)

I wouldn't mind having two boars but I read that they can fight to the death which is what I want to avoid. I don't want to risk it, which is why I'm worried

Spaying a sow is a much more invasive procedure than neutering a boar. That is why in the Uk we tend to neuter boars if we are having a mixed sex pairing.
However it is a misconception that boars don’t get along. If they find another boar they get on with they can have very happy and stable loving bonds between 2 boars.
I will find you some guides to read

:agr:

Boars are absolutely fine together but like any piggy bond, it comes down to character compatibility - two piggies have to like each other to form a successful bond. I have a lovely, well bonded two year old boar pair myself.
A boar pair do need more space than a sow pair though. Cage measuring 180cm x 60cm is needed for two boars.

The place where I bought mine still has his brothers for sale so maybe that bond will work? Or do they not have familial bonds?

The place where I bought mine still has his brothers for sale so maybe that bond will work? Or do they not have familial bonds?

No they don’t, there is no guarantee siblings will be compatible for the long term. More boar pairs make it together than not though.
It is so important he has a friend though, he is far too young to be alone.

Do check the cage size. It’s essential to give two boars enough space, particularly once they hit their teens.

Back