• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adding another piggy

Gemma1286

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! This time last year I had 7 piggies. They always got along very well. Bella passed away back in September from unknown causes. The 6 were still ok together. I've lost 3 more since January, so now I have a trio left.

Minnie and Phoebe have now become inseparable, they do everything together. I can't even get one out without the other wheeking at the bars. But this leaves Maisy, it's as if she's become the outsider. She doesn't get bullied out at all, but she's mostly on her own around the cage.

I feel like adding another into the mix would even out the numbers and may give Maisy a buddy as well. Would this be a good idea?

It all comes down to compatibility really.
I think 4 piggies is easier than 3 for the reasons you outlined above, but of course this only works of the newcomer can settle and find their place in the group.

Would piggy dating be an option?

It all comes down to compatibility really.
I think 4 piggies is easier than 3 for the reasons you outlined above, but of course this only works of the newcomer can settle and find their place in the group.

Would piggy dating be an option?
It would be an option. I've been keeping an eye on the rescues around me for either a neutered boar or a single sow, but having problems finding anything suitable. Even all the pets at homes around here are out.

It would be an option. I've been keeping an eye on the rescues around me for either a neutered boar or a single sow, but having problems finding anything suitable. Even all the pets at homes around here are out.

Have you looked on the websites for rescue centres or have you spoken to them? Rescues don’t always advertise their single piggies on their websites so having a conversation with them is best

As @Piggies&buns has mentioned, contact the rescues directly as they often have piggies in that are not advertised on their websites. It’s difficult at the minute as most rescues aren’t offering bonding due to lockdown but you could get your name on their waiting lists

have you contacted Little Wheekers in Bristol they have a FB page. I think single piggies are not always advertised but they often have singles in. I enquired last year when Ted lost Bill and they offered to boar bond him for me x

Have you looked on the websites for rescue centres or have you spoken to them? Rescues don’t always advertise their single piggies on their websites so having a conversation with them is best
I have been looking on the websites, did not realise they didn't advertise their singles. I'll contact Little Wheekers as @Bill & Ted suggested. I've just found their fb page.

Most of the piggies I’ve had haven’t been advertised on websites. 5 came from this forum x
All my piggies are either bought or adopted from pets at home, going through a rescue is a whole new world. This may sound silly, but how do you start your messages when enquiring? My anxiety makes me afraid that I'd put something very wrong.

All my piggies are either bought or adopted from pets at home, going through a rescue is a whole new world. This may sound silly, but how do you start your messages when enquiring? My anxiety makes me afraid that I'd put something very wrong.

It’s normal to be anxious.

Just put something like,

Dear? I am looking for a single sow / neutered boar to join my family / piggies and am wondering if you can help? Breed, colour, age isn’t an issue (unless you’re obviously looking for a specific) I look forward to hearing from you

It’s normal to be anxious.

Just put something like,

Dear? I am looking for a single sow / neutered boar to join my family / piggies and am wondering if you can help? Breed, colour, age isn’t an issue (unless you’re obviously looking for a specific) I look forward to hearing from you
Thank you so much!

:yahoo:I've had a reply back from them! They wanted to see the girls set up, so I sent back a photo with an explanation of how big it is, how many I have and what sex they are. So excited, I didn't think I'd get a reply at all.

So, decision time. Either adopt a sow when pregnancy watch ends 15th may, though most are expecting. Adopt a mum and her baby (sex unknown at the moment) in 5 weeks. Or adopt a bereaved 5 year old sow (with no voice bless her!) from her owner. I'm thinking of the lone bereaved girl...

Back