• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Adequate weight gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hello, as you all know Thumper went and got his teeth done at the vets a week and a half a go. On the day he got his teeth done he was 600g, he is now only 619g, so he's gaining weight just very slowly, is this okay do you think? He is eating, I'm watching him as much as I can, and he is back to his normal self. Should I be expecting a faster weight gain?
Tigger is a big heffer lol he weighed in today at 859g, 240g more than poor Thumper! :))

Not sure how useful this will be, just to share our dental piggies weights after ops. Thumper is gaining, is he back to eating his veggies? It may be worth contacting furryfriends as she has lots of expierence with dental piggies.

Pitch's original weight was 1070g. She had her first dental at 998g.
Dental day 998,
second day 993
third day 1050,

She mantained that weight for 2 months.
Dental day 2 890g
She only got back to 940 5 days later but did not get back to her original weight.

When I had Fred done, within a week he was back to his original weight. Are you weighing the same time each day, although he didnot gain anything until the 4th day infact he lost weight before his intial gain and is now back to 1041 grams.

No, I'm silly I'm not weighing at the same time, which would be common sense but I tend to lack that at times lol Okay, so I'll weigh him at the same time everyday for the next week to see how he goes, I guess he could just be a small piggy, he was the smallest of the lot when I got him, and Tiggers a good 33% heavier than him. But he's eating his veggies just fine so far, he's got his bite back now if you know what I mean, before he couldn't pull the food from my hand, but now he can do that. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid lol xox

If he was under a year when he got dental issues, there is every chance his growth maybe be stunted. As well his friend was gobbling he was struggling to get food in, so yes this would result in him being a small pig.

Weigh him at the same time everyday, don't be tempted to weigh twice a day as it won't be accurate I always find first thing before veggies is a good time to weigh.

Thanks Flintstones, he is only around 20 weeks old, so is having his growth stunted a bad thing in terms of long term health, like are there any implications to this?xox

No I imagine, he'll just be a smaller pig, might not happens either. I think any weight gain is a good thing but here's hoping he'll have alot more :)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back