• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopted Guinea pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and could do with some advice. We have adopted a male guinea pig from pets at home on Friday and this is our first guinea pig (although my partners sister had them as a child). Anyway all we really know about him is that he was abandoned and he is very nervous. Basically we left him on Friday night but we have been getting him out and handling him but he is still a bit weary of us and doesn't seem to come out of his house much. We are keeping him indoors. Are we doing the right thing getting him out so soon? Also he makings grunting noises and sneezing noises when we hold him. Is that good or bad?

Thanks in advance

Sam

Hello Sam,

A big warm welcome to the forum and congratulations on your first piggie :)

He sounds lovely, but may need a while ajusting and settling into family life. I'd suggest leaving him to adjust to surroundings for a week, try not to pick him up too much just while he settles in (I know this is hard!) I got my boys seven months ago and Artie, who very shy and nervous has just started to allow me to stroke him

After the first week, you could try bonding with him by taking things slowly at first. Allow him to get used to your hands/ smell, hold veggies in your hands and let him come to you. Try this for an hour a day for a week, and build it up from there, it can take them a while to trust.

I also find, when picking up piggies it's best to put down a cosy cup/ small pet bed for them to climb in and feel safe and secure during cuddle time :)

Also, if you can, put a couple more hideys and tubes in his cage just for now so he has places to run into and under

Are you thinking of getting him a cage mate? Piggies are sociable animals, and thrive with their own kinds company. You could take a look at our rescue and rehoming section and see if they have any older or younger boars to bond him with, I'd really recommend getting him a friend they really come out of their shells with a cage mate to play with and natter too :)

Also, with the grunting and sneezing...is he wheezing at all, or runny nose? My boys were from the PAH Adoption center, and I noticed two days after bringing them home, Artie had a terrible cough, sneezing and wheezing it turned out he had a chest infection as well as a eye infection:(

I'm not saying your piggie has an infection - I'd just keep an eye out, as sometimes with pet shops the animals can catch illness without being detected by the staff

Also, cant wait for pigtures :))

Welcome! Audiohearts advice above is great. I just want to add that if you are going to get your little man a friend get one from a rescue :(|)

Hope to see pigtures soon xx

Thanks for all the advice. I was wondering about getting him a friend but was worried that they would fight? He is fully grown but not too sure of his age? I have only noticed him sneezing when he is being handled and I think it is more of a squeek than a grunt now I have heard it again.

Where is the best place to look for another male to rehome?

Will try get some pics when he is a bit less nervous, he is nearly all black though so might not be able to make him out very well lol.

Sorry last question, is it worth taking him for general check up at the vets? and how much is this likely to cost?

Thanks

Would maybe worthwhile to get him checked over :) it's best to find a guinea savy vet so they know what they're looking for (guinea pigs are more complicated than people think) At my guinea savy vets it costs about £25 for a consultation on guinea pigs x

Thanks for all the advice. I was wondering about getting him a friend but was worried that they would fight? He is fully grown but not too sure of his age? I have only noticed him sneezing when he is being handled and I think it is more of a squeek than a grunt now I have heard it again.

Where is the best place to look for another male to rehome?

Will try get some pics when he is a bit less nervous, he is nearly all black though so might not be able to make him out very well lol.

Sorry last question, is it worth taking him for general check up at the vets? and how much is this likely to cost?

Thanks

Your best going to a rescue center, where they can find you a younger baby boar to bond with your boy, whereabouts are you located? I could see if their is any rescues in your area on this forum :)

I'd deffos recommend a consulatation, when i took my boys it was £15 at Vets4Pets, and £25 at my usual local vets :)

That would be great I've looked at a few websites but all the males seem to be in pairs and don't think I could fit 3 in the cage? I am in West Yorkshire. What sort of age do you think I should be looking for?

Thanks

That would be great I've looked at a few websites but all the males seem to be in pairs and don't think I could fit 3 in the cage? I am in West Yorkshire. What sort of age do you think I should be looking for?

Thanks

Sometimes it's best to phone up and speak to the rescue, they might be able to transport a lone male from another rescue nearby and they'll help you with what boar is best for your piggie, sometimes it's an older one (over 2) or sometimes it can be a baby one :)

If your boars around one year old he'll be better with a either mature piggie, or a baby pig to be a father figure too. Usually two boars are much easier to keep happy, and keep from falling out, as the more boars you have the bigger the space you need. I'll have a look on the forum to see if we have any rescues you can contact on here :)

Also here is a fab website with a list of piggie rescues across England:
http://www.guineapigrehome.org.uk/gp/centres.asp

my oscar is nearly all black and you can hardly see him on any of his pics, that and the fact that he is so bloomin quick! :))

If you are in W.Yorks try Milhaven GP rescue in Keighley.They have a web site and they are a lovely rescue.

I agree a cage mate would be good for him. I found my piggies came out their shell when they have a friend :)

Also it takes time for him to become less nervous. It would be good to just sit next to him cage and talk to him, you could maybe over favourite food from your hand, then start with stroking then cuddles :)) x)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back