• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopted Two Boars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPO

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I wasn't planning on it however I went into P@H this morning to get all the supplies for my future piggies and I saw two lovely little babies who were up for adoption. I hope I'm not going to be run off the forum as I adopted from P@H but I guess it's better than buying them, right? They're apparently only around 16 weeks old and were given back to them as the owner's daughter was allergic and lost interest within the few weeks they had them. One has slightly curly hair and another has longer black hair. I know everyone bashes P@H (I'm not the biggest fan and I wouldn't buy animals from them) however the girl who helped me was very knowledgeable about guinea pigs and obviously had an interest in them. I will try and get some pictures up in due course but they're currently hiding under a pile of hay and I want them to settle in.

Looking forward to the pigtures.... :nod:

Are they boys or Girls.. ?

They're little boys. Their names at the moment are Fluffy and Ben however I'm thinking I may change them - mainly because I had a hamster called Fluffy and a dog called Ben.

I hope that you can post some pics of your piggies. We encourage going rescue, but if you come across a pair of unwanted piggies looking for a good home in another place that you cannot walk away from, then you get them. Not everybody has got easy access to a good rescue and any piggy has the same right to a happy life. ;)

We have got behaviour and boar tips at the top of our behaviour section, which you may find helpful.

P@h branches vary quite a lot. A good number have cleaned up their act somewhat and no longer use the adoption section mainly to get rid of unsold stock or put clearly ill/untreated piggies up for adoption, buyer beware!

I'll try and get some pictures after I finish work tonight! I was a little worried about getting two boars again but I know that it can work and that it's not unusual for a pair to live happily together. They're still very timid (which is to be expected) and I doubt they were handled much in their first home so it will definitely be a work in progress but I'm so excited to have them! I'll definitely have a nosey at the behaviour and bonding section when I get a chance :tu:

I think one of the key things that helps when having two boars is to have a big cage. That is what I have noticed anyway.

My cage is 28X70" so I'm hoping it should be sufficient (also has a 2x1 loft) They're both curled up in their house at the moment which is a good sign but I'm sure that could change at any moment.

I'm home from work and have popped into the room to check on the piggies. The bowl with vegetables is half empty and there's hay all over the place so they have obviously been out exploring while I've been away. The pictures (pigtures!) may have to wait until tomorrow though as I can't see them staying out in the open while I go into the room.

Aww good luck with your new boars. Well done for adopting. Looking forward to pictures. :nod:

I managed to get a sneaky picture of Ben. It's not a great picture and he looks like a black ball of fluff (which he is) but it's all I have at the moment. Hopefully I'll get betters ones in the coming days :D

2015-01-24 23.02.41.jpg

I apologise for the rubbish photo again, it's quite hard to get a good one without spooking them. They're both starting to come out of their shells this evening after talking to them and trying to feed them veggies. Although I've not seen any dominance behaviour yet. Is that normal? Would have they already decided who is boss before I adopted them?

image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back