• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopting A Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Michaela

I found a link which I've private messaged to you because I'm not sure I'm allowed to post it on here, it does look like a post made by one of the admins on here on a different forum, it looks like her profile pic xD

We have been home visited by RSPCA in the past, the first home check was nerve wracking but I am sure you will be fine

They will be asking things like

What cage do you have?
What will you feed?
Are there any other pets in the house?
What are you planning to bed them on?
Have you got a vet in mind?
Can you afford vet bills?
What will you do when it comes to holidays?

So just think of answers to those type of questions.

Let them know you are part of the forum too...

Hope that helps, please let us know how you get on and good luck!

I've never ever had a home check from the RSPCA!
When I adopted my chinchillas from them I was doing work experience their & they just literally let me take them home!
I just filled in the paper work & the guy signed it.
Since then I've been on their records as beeing an ok person & all I do is show them a picture of the cage I'll be keeping them in, sign all the paper work and take them home that day!
It's ridiculous as I could live in a right shithole

I have adopted piggies from the RSPCA Walsall as well; the first couple of home checks are always nerve-racking!

What the inspectors are looking out for is not a super duper place, just a normal home home and normal people. All they are making sure is that the cage/hutch is as requested (too many people have sadly been lying through their teeth to get hold of a specific animal), that the home is safe (in terms of boisterous dogs, cats and small children) and that the house is not the kind of place that you need to rescue them from again.
They like to meet the people in question to get a sense whether they will be responsible owners; if you have other pets, they like to see how you interact with them and whether they look and behave well kep (notwithstanding dogs often picking up on your nervousness!).

Just be normal yourself self as much as possible, and as long as your house is not a real tip, you will be absolutely fine! The recommendations on this forum comply with and often surpass RSPCA minimum recommendations, so refusals are extremely rare and most members pass their home check with flying colours. ;)

Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back