• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopting From Human Society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetLova200

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey! I made a thread a month getting advice for preparing for my piggies. I ended up getting the fleece but took forever to finally wick. I'm getting the toys and stuff the day I get them(Maybe today but most likely tomorrow) but I'm so excited. I found two girls like I wanted that were surrendered on the 12th of Feb so I'm happy I'll be able to scoop them up(Hopefully no one got them yet).

I also got the midwest guinea cage habitat plus but I'm definitely updating to C&C cage later. So no pet store cage :).

But has anyone ever gotten two piggies from here? I got my cat from here and I thought the process would be long and kind of annoying with the home checks(Understandable why they would) and stuff but we went in and less than 30 mins I adopted a kitten lol. I was wondering if it's the same with piggies? Do I have wait for them to get fixed like I did with my cat? It was a 3 day waiting period and I want muh piggies rn LOL. Should I bring a carrier? On the site for dogs and cats bring one but doesn't mention rodents?

Hey! I made a thread a month getting advice for preparing for my piggies. I ended up getting the fleece but took forever to finally wick. I'm getting the toys and stuff the day I get them(Maybe today but most likely tomorrow) but I'm so excited. I found two girls like I wanted that were surrendered on the 12th of Feb so I'm happy I'll be able to scoop them up(Hopefully no one got them yet).

I also got the midwest guinea cage habitat plus but I'm definitely updating to C&C cage later. So no pet store cage :).

But has anyone ever gotten two piggies from here? I got my cat from here and I thought the process would be long and kind of annoying with the home checks(Understandable why they would) and stuff but we went in and less than 30 mins I adopted a kitten lol. I was wondering if it's the same with piggies? Do I have wait for them to get fixed like I did with my cat? It was a 3 day waiting period and I want muh piggies rn LOL. Should I bring a carrier? On the site for dogs and cats bring one but doesn't mention rodents?

Do the Humane Society practice a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy/health checks? You will have to contact the centre over their practices and requirements, as I am not conversant with them.

If they ask for carriers for other pets, I would strongly assume that you need come with some kind of transport conveyance for guinea pigs, too; but that is one of the details you need to ask the centre itself.

PS: As we have got members from all over world and are a lively forum, you can really help us by adding your country so that it appears below your username in every post you make. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Do the Humane Society practice a mandatory quarantine and pregnancy/health checks? You will have to contact the centre over their practices and requirements, as I am not conversant with them.

If they ask for carriers for other pets, I would strongly assume that you need come with some kind of transport conveyance for guinea pigs, too; but that is one of the details you need to ask the centre itself.

PS: As we have got members from all over world and are a lively forum, you can really help us by adding your country so that it appears below your username in every post you make. Please click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!
I'm asking because on the site originally to adopt my cat they made it seem like you had go through a lot of steps to get her but I honestly walked in saw the cats, told them I wanted to pet one, said I wanted her and they took us the front desk and told us 50$(Though on the site kittens were originally over 100$). I only had to wait 3 days cause it's the law she needs to be fixed but if it was an older cat the sign said I could have took them home that same night. It's the exact same one I got my cat from too. Is it okay bring a box to carry them in with holes poked through?

I'll add my country btw

A box like that is OK in colder weather, but it can get a bit too stifling in the summer heat.

Thank you for adding your state.

I am from the UK, so I cannot comment on the practices of your local shelter and how much they adhere to their policy. However, there is a big difference between a guinea pig rescue, which rehomes only healthy, guaranteed not pregnant and properly sexed guinea pigs, and a shelter, which just takes in guinea pigs, but does not provide any medical treatment or further care (in the UK we call a shelter a pound).

Here is a list of good standard rescues in your state in case you are interested. Many of them pull guinea pigs from shelters if possible: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations

A box like that is OK in colder weather, but it can get a bit too stifling in the summer heat.

Thank you for adding your state.

I am from the UK, so I cannot comment on the practices of your local shelter and how much they adhere to their policy. However, there is a big difference between a guinea pig rescue, which rehomes only healthy, guaranteed not pregnant and properly sexed guinea pigs, and a shelter, which just takes in guinea pigs, but does not provide any medical treatment or further care (in the UK we call a shelter a pound).

Here is a list of good standard rescues in your state in case you are interested. Many of them pull guinea pigs from shelters if possible: Guinea Lynx :: US Guinea Pig Rescue and Shelter Organizations
Thanks I'll definitely look at these in case those two Guinea Pigs are adopted already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back