• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adopting Guinea Pigs

kamjay

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I am looking to adopting guinea pigs.. I already have everything I need and all that is left is the pigs! The shelter I want to adopt them from only has 1 available and I want to be able to get that one before anybody else does but the shelter only has one guinea pig for now. My question is do you think it will be okay if I adopt that one guinea pig and adopt another one later as soon as another one is up for adoption or wait until 2 are up for adoption at the same time?

Thank You in Advance

I would wait until there are two up for adoption. They really need company of their own kind, and it’s better if you adopt a pair that has already been bonded. I would also be wary of a rescue that will let you adopt one piggy at a time.
How big is the cage/hutch you got? Space is very important, especially for boars.

Please can you add your location to your profile so it’s easier to tailor information to your needs. And :wel:

It’s great that you are looking at adopting guinea pigs. Does the shelter offer guinea pig dating? If so, you could always adopt the guinea pig they already have and then take him / her dating when they get more piggies. But as already mentioned, I’d be wary of a rescue who will let you adopt one piggy

Id wait for a bonded pair. Even more so if these are your first piggies.

If you get this one now, then It’s not a case of adopting one as soon as another comes available. The two piggies need to be compatible to be able to form a successful bond and the next one that comes up may not be a match with your single, and then you’ve still got to wait again.

I would wait until there are two up for adoption. They really need company of their own kind, and it’s better if you adopt a pair that has already been bonded. I would also be wary of a rescue that will let you adopt one piggy at a time.
How big is the cage/hutch you got? Space is very important, especially for boars.

Please can you add your location to your profile so it’s easier to tailor information to your needs. And :wel:
It is a 2x3.5 as that is what would fit for now.

It is a 2x3.5 as that is what would fit for now.

Is that a c&c grid cage - so 2 grids x 3 and a half grids; or is that feet measurement - 2ft x 3.5ft?

Sadly Neither is big enough even for a single piggy. Two sows need a 2x4 c&c cage or a hutch measuring 2ft x 5ft. Two boars need a 2x5 c&c or a hutch measuring 2ft x 6ft.

Last edited:
:agr: You will have to find a way to make it bigger - can you move furniture or place it on a table somewhere? Or if there’s a corner of a room you could build it round that.

Back