• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Adult Guinea pig scared of Younger Guinea Pig

winnieee

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello!
I recently got a baby guinea about, about 2 months old. My other guinea pig, who is around 3, seems to be scared of the baby after a day of being together. The 3 year old jumped when the younger one approached him just now. He also tends to make a purring noise when walking near him. I have been keeping an eye on my piggies and am able to separate them if needed, but I've seen no displays of aggression toward one another.

Why would my older guinea pig be scared of the younger one? I thought it would've been the other way around. Is there anything I should be doing?

My old George is nervous and was frightened by the quick movements of a young pig - he's no slouch but the new girl (10 months) was much faster. It was a 'match' that didn't work out but it was clear in the first 5 minutes that it was no-go because he attacked (twice)! She had to go back home. His new partner is about 2 years and has deftly managed to allow him to be dominant while running rings around him.

If he has lived alone for a long time he will also have to adjust to his new companion... they need companionship so it is the right thing to do but he'll just need a little time to adapt to the change.

The 'purring' might be the rumbling normally associated with dominance. If you just popped the baby into big one's cage he's asserting himself over the territory. The best way to introduce is on neutral ground (see guides on bonding above) but if they're already in there together don't split them or you'll just be starting all over again and the young one needs the companionship. Make sure that there is nowhere for either pig to be cornered - so no hiding places with only one exit, just big tunnels or two-exit boxes and two places to sleep so they can choose when to be together and when to be apart. Two food bowls (or piles) and two water bottles/bowls to reduce competition until they know each other better. Check the size of your enclosure is big enough for two boars when baby starts growing up (again see guides at top of page) And good luck!

PS: Double-check the sex of the new pig... mistakes have been made before 😉

My old George is nervous and was frightened by the quick movements of a young pig - he's no slouch but the new girl (10 months) was much faster. It was a 'match' that didn't work out but it was clear in the first 5 minutes that it was no-go because he attacked (twice)! She had to go back home. His new partner is about 2 years and has deftly managed to allow him to be dominant while running rings around him.

If he has lived alone for a long time he will also have to adjust to his new companion... they need companionship so it is the right thing to do but he'll just need a little time to adapt to the change.

The 'purring' might be the rumbling normally associated with dominance. If you just popped the baby into big one's cage he's asserting himself over the territory. The best way to introduce is on neutral ground (see guides on bonding above) but if they're already in there together don't split them or you'll just be starting all over again and the young one needs the companionship. Make sure that there is nowhere for either pig to be cornered - so no hiding places with only one exit, just big tunnels or two-exit boxes and two places to sleep so they can choose when to be together and when to be apart. Two food bowls (or piles) and two water bottles/bowls to reduce competition until they know each other better. Check the size of your enclosure is big enough for two boars when baby starts growing up (again see guides at top of page) And good luck!

PS: Double-check the sex of the new pig... mistakes have been made before 😉
This was really helpful! I really appreciate the advice. The older one has been alone for most of his life. I just purchased a bigger enclosure for them to create a neutral ground, as I did pop the baby into the older pig's habitat. It seems like they're getting along a bit better now that they have the opportunity to establish their own spaces.

When bonding you must always do it on neutral territory. You’re lucky it didn’t go too badly.

Oh it's great that they're starting to get used to each other! It can take a couple of weeks before things settle down properly so keep an eye on them and just be patient. Your new one is still a baby but he will turn into a 'teenager' around 4 months (see the guide A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars @Siikibam linked above) and at this point you might see more strutting around. Hopefully you will have smooth sailing though, with their new bigger enclosure ☺ I've had boars and sows and although I loved my girls dearly it's always been the boys that have had more character and personality!
My George (neutered) and Flora had to adapt to each other as well as Flora getting used to new surroundings. Then every now and again the cage got cleaned out so they went into a little run in the other room and rumbled at each other again! Then back into the clean cage and more rumbling! But no squabbling because they were both happy to have company. George still rumbles when he emerges from his hidey to show what a big boar he is but little Flora has spotted that he is actually a nervous boy and all bluster. Sometimes she blocks the door with her small body, doing a little rumble herself, and making him wait to come out! He looks at me like, "Have you seen this..?" 😂

Back