Adult sow and (unrelated) baby sow bonding?

florna

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Feb 13, 2022
Messages
22
Reaction score
5
Points
145
Location
Sheffield, UK
Can anyone advise me / signpost me to guidance on how to safely attempt bonding between a mature adult sow and unrelated baby sow, please? I'm struggling to bond my 4yo and it's been suggested to me that I try her with a 6 to 8 week-old-baby. I have no idea how to do this safely, and I'm concerned about the baby sow coming to harm. My adult sow is a lovely pig, but she can seem agitated and hormonal due to chronic health issues. She teeth-chatters A LOT when introduced to other pigs, and is a bit socially oblivious, not responding to 'corrections' from other pigs. She (non-aggressively) explores the world with her mouth and has savagely bitten me when startled (my fault entirely!), so I'm anxious about how she'd behave towards a baby. Alternatively, I can try to find her the right adult sow companion but a baby has been suggested as she's less likely to see her as threatening. Thanks in advance
 
Bonding an older adult sow can be tricky as they can become less willing to accept new company as they age.
Trying a baby would be better than trying an adult

A baby won’t get hurt but it is important you carry out the bonding on neutral territory. Don’t put the baby in her cage for bonding

I’ve added the guide below which fully explains the process and behaviours you do and do not want to see

Make sure you do not quarantine the baby. Babies under four months need immediate and constant interaction

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated Bonding Dynamics and Behaviours
 
Back
Top