• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice for bonding and very sensitive boar

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So I asked the vet a few days ago if it was a good idea to try bonding Banner (despite his fungal infection) with the other pig in quarantine (Bruce) as I felt awful leaving him quarantined for even more time on his own. The vet said as the other pigs in the room with Banner aren’t showing signs of ringworm and that Bruce was stressed on his own to go ahead with the bonding. As treating Bruce if he does catch it would be better than him continuing to be stressed on his own.

I followed all the correct bonding steps with the brilliant guides on hers, but unfortunately it’s not a match.

I’m not sure what to do for Banner? He was never really cuddly with Rocket before he lost him, but they did tolerate each other and lived happily. Banner is a very soft, sensitive boy and just doesn’t stand up for himself. So despite the initial disagreements settling down with Bruce, he then resorted to running and hiding from Bruce and not coming out to eat. So if Bruce approached him he would run, which led to Bruce chattering at him and Banner hiding away.

Banner can see Thor and Stark through the bars and seems to be happy enough living on his own. He parked up as soon as he was on his own again. Is it best I leave him to live alone rather than bonding?

As he is neutered I thought about a female, but surely that would cause too many problems with the other boys being next door?

I also considered a baby boar for him, thinking he might not feel as threatened?

I’m not sure what to do for the best?

Sorry to hear the bonding didn’t go as planned for your lovely boys! I can’t offer any advice other than a girl in the same room as your other boys isn’t a good idea as the smell can cause the other bonded pairs of boys to fall out due to smell of the sow.

Hope you find a solution that you’re happy with. These piggies can be picky little boys with who they want to live with!:doh::nod:

Could Bruce move next to Thor & Stark once out of quarantine? If so then perhaps banner could be bonded with a sow and live in another room? That is the preferable setup if you have a sow amongst bonded boars. The other alternative is for them to live in a stacked cage with banner and sow(s) below the paired boars and Bruce.

I'm so sorry it didn't work out, these boars can be so fussy who they live with!
I'm afraid a sow in the same room with your other pairs is not a good idea. I hope you can come up with a solution soon, I'm trying to come up with a happy ever after for my fallen out pair too.

Thank you all. All good advice.

I just don’t know if Banner will just be happier alone? But with the others next door. I can’t really stack them and if I take over any more rooms I’ll have no room left for us and the dog to live 🙈

I know they rarely come up, but would Banner be less intimidated by a baby? Or would I end up with the same issues as I’ve had trying to hold him with a 9 month old?

I don’t think because they’re young it makes a difference, just if they’re compatible personalities so it wouldn’t be a guaranteed fit. My two boys live side by side (they also decided they didn’t want to live with each other) and they’re very happy being neighbours ☺️

Banner is back to his old self now that they are separated. He’s popcorning around and having a great time. With Thor and Stark talking to him through the bars. I honestly think he’s happier this way, with his own space

Banner is back to his old self now that they are separated. He’s popcorning around and having a great time. With Thor and Stark talking to him through the bars. I honestly think he’s happier this way, with his own space

that might well be the case.
without dating, getting any piggy is a risk. Age is far less of a consideration when it comes to a bond, so getting a baby is not going to mean it’s guaranteed to go any better. He isn’t alone, he isn’t lonely which is the main thing.
What would your plan for Bruce be?

that might well be the case.
without dating, getting any piggy is a risk. Age is far less of a consideration when it comes to a bond, so getting a baby is not going to mean it’s guaranteed to go any better. He isn’t alone, he isn’t lonely which is the main thing.
What would your plan for Bruce be?
I’m not sure yet. My friend has a lonely female, so I didn’t know whether to neuter him to give him a shot at moving there with her? I can’t really expand my room to create another Piggie area. I feel terrible, like a very very bad owner for this happening. I took Bruce in to save him from the shed, but now there’s problems. My fault 😔

Oh Gosh, don't feel bad after all you've done for your boys - nobody could do more!

I can say my sensitive George probably wishes I'd never brought Zara into our lives although he and Louise are now at least able to sit near each other on each side of the bars without Madam going ballistic. He doesn't popcorn any more but he's happier than when he was alone and he has a reason to come out of his hidey in the morning. Sows are no guarantee (although I suspect there aren't many Zaras in the world!)

@Little Ones has had success with a baby boar and I am wistful, thinking maybe should I have gone that route, but I just don't know if he wouldn't have freaked out with a bouncy, zippy little fellow as he didn't want anything to do with the lively young sow we first tried. Bar-neighbours for now is not a disaster for George and it sounds like your boy is doing better than that if he's popcorning occasionally 💕

I’m not sure yet. My friend has a lonely female, so I didn’t know whether to neuter him to give him a shot at moving there with her? I can’t really expand my room to create another Piggie area. I feel terrible, like a very very bad owner for this happening. I took Bruce in to save him from the shed, but now there’s problems. My fault 😔

No please don’t feel bad, you have given a chance of a happier life.
While he is alone, it’s not an option, but would stacking a cage with him plus a friend be an option (space saving option?)

No please don’t feel bad, you have given a chance of a happier life.
While he is alone, it’s not an option, but would stacking a cage with him plus a friend be an option (space saving option?)
Definitely can look into that! Though I do worry about getting him a friend and it not working out? He’s quite a sassy boy!

Definitely can look into that! Though I do worry about getting him a friend and it not working out? He’s quite a sassy boy!

is dating at a rescue an option? Perhaps not now with the current situation but it’s the safest way of finding a compatible friend

CEB2EAAB-11C5-4F61-9B22-C872F9A69AD9.jpeg
Bruce has this bottom section to himself for now (closest to where I’ve stood to take the picture - his bed and hay are in the section under the blanket on the left). As you can see, Banner is very happy in the top left by himself but can see Thor and Stark as they have the right that comes right round to Banner’s bars 👍🏻

You are definitely not a failure.
I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Red can see Caspy and Nugget, poor Brillo only gets sight of another piggy when he has floor time. He is popcorning around his cage though so he can't be too unhappy. The lockdown is at least stopping me from doing something I might later regret. I do wonder if I should surrender one or both of my boys to a rescue so they can both find new friends but it makes me feel such a failure. It's so hard isn't it. I don't have room for any more piggies my cages are already stacked! I had three pairs happily housed like this for several years! Maybe you could do something similar.
1609884454418.png

I'm in a similar situation at the moment. Red can see Caspy and Nugget, poor Brillo only gets sight of another piggy when he has floor time. He is popcorning around his cage though so he can't be too unhappy. The lockdown is at least stopping me from doing something I might later regret. I do wonder if I should surrender one or both of my boys to a rescue so they can both find new friends but it makes me feel such a failure. It's so hard isn't it. I don't have room for any more piggies my cages are already stacked! I had three pairs happily housed like this for several years! Maybe you could do something similar.
View attachment 163132
Don’t feel like a failure! You do an amazing job. I know how you feel though, I feel I’ve failed both Bruce and Banner!
I can definitely give it a try. I have lots of C@C and boards. I’ll keep him down the bottom for now where he seems happy. But I’ll try something like that when I make more room for a friend

View attachment 163132
Please don’t feel like a failure. Same for you @Marvel_piggie_squad You did the best for your piggies but they obvious have another agenda 🙄🙃

Back