• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Advice for impaction in older boar please

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Benson will be 7 yrs old in June this year. Over the past month, he has had some problems with impaction. It's not there every day but certainly every week now.

His appetite is good and he looks pretty well but he is not very active around the cage, preferring to sit in one place for many hours, often on top of a large amount of pellets.
I don't think he is eating the soft pellets as he should be.

When i emptied his fleece cozy, there was a large mass of poop which had formed into one large mass (not lots of pellets, just one sqashed mass as he had been sitting on it)

He also had some poo staining on his tummy. I gave him a wash tonight and cleaned out his anal sac. He seemed much happier after that and was quite chirpy.

I have read on guinea lynx that need to supplement his diet now with vit B complex. What format do i buy that in please?
I know how to syringe feed and he is a friendly and co operative chap so it shouldn't be a problem.

I do have some oxbow critical care in stock - would that be a good idea or not at this stage?

He is eating and drinking well - hay and veg no prob. It's just that he isn't eating his soft pellets.

Any advice at all about this most welcome. Thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Benson will be 7 yrs old in June this year. Over the past month, he has had some problems with impaction. It's not there every day but certainly every week now.

His appetite is good and he looks pretty well but he is not very active around the cage, preferring to sit in one place for many hours, often on top of a large amount of pellets.
I don't think he is eating the soft pellets as he should be.

When i emptied his fleece cozy, there was a large mass of poop which had formed into one large mass (not lots of pellets, just one sqashed mass as he had been sitting on it)

He also had some poo staining on his tummy. I gave him a wash tonight and cleaned out his anal sac. He seemed much happier after that and was quite chirpy.

I have read on guinea lynx that need to supplement his diet now with vit B complex. What format do i buy that in please?
I know how to syringe feed and he is a friendly and co operative chap so it shouldn't be a problem.

I do have some oxbow critical care in stock - would that be a good idea or not at this stage?

He is eating and drinking well - hay and veg no prob. It's just that he isn't eating his soft pellets.

Any advice at all about this most welcome. Thanks!
Hi!

You may also find our own impaction guide with several videos and diet tips/practical experiences from the owner of a long term impacted boar helpful.
Impaction - How To Help Your Guinea Pig.

The best way of administering vitamins is by dissolving them in a little water and then syringing them; this makes sure that a piggy really gets what it needs freshly.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks - do i just buy vitamins for humans? Is there any particular brand of vit b you would recommend as being easy to dissolve? Thanks!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks - do i just buy vitamins for humans? Is there any particular brand of vit b you would recommend as being easy to dissolve? Thanks!
There is no pet version to my knowledge. If necessary you crush any tablets for swallowing as that is the form in which vitamin B complex is available on its own. Please be careful with the amount. I have no experience with how much to give, so cannot help you on that score as vitamin B is not something that is regularly prescribed or given.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks! The recommended amount is on the guinea lynx site but it doesn't say where you get the vit b complex from - it just says to give vit b complex. I might pop him along to the vet as he could do with a full check anyway. Thanks for your advice and also for the link, most useful!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Pro c has huge amounts of multi vitamins. Could check this out?
The reason why I have NOT recommended a multivitamin dissolvable tablet is that our vitamin needs and those of guinea pigs differ and that can lead to problems.

Vitamin B complex from a pharmacy or supermarket are OK.

SkyPipDotBernie

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The reason why I have NOT recommended a multivitamin dissolvable tablet is that our vitamin needs and those of guinea pigs differ and that can lead to problems.

Ok just mentioned it incase ☺.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow and get an appointment - then i can get him properly checked - they can see if i am cleaning him properly and i think i will feel more confident once his condition has been properly checked.

He is such a special pig, we have had him since he was a baby and i wouldn't want to cause him any harm inadvertently. He isn't looking at all bad just now so hopefully i can get an appt early next week and then start giving him all the care he needs at this time of his life.
Thanks again!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to give the vet a call tomorrow and get an appointment - then i can get him properly checked - they can see if i am cleaning him properly and i think i will feel more confident once his condition has been properly checked.

He is such a special pig, we have had him since he was a baby and i wouldn't want to cause him any harm inadvertently. He isn't looking at all bad just now so hopefully i can get an appt early next week and then start giving him all the care he needs at this time of his life.
Thanks again!
You may find the several videos in our impaction guide very helpful. We have taken care to only feature videos (with the permission of their owners) which show the correct way of dealing with impaction and which are from reputable and experienced sources. ;)

You will get used to it soon. For a boar for whom regular clearing out means a huge relief, this procedure quickly becomes something that he is actually perfectly fine with. He will tell you what is OK for him and what not, so you learn most of it by acquiring practice; the same as syringe feeding and medicating. ;)

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton

@SkyPipDotBernie mentions Pro C, which is a probiotic for guinea pigs and rabbits, not a human multivitamin. I’ve actually found Pro C helps with impaction.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have got an appointment today at 4.50 with a cavy savvy vet so i will see what he says. The guinea lynx site suggests feeding the soft pellets back to the pig if possible. If not possible, it advises the vit b complex and states that the pig will lose condition if this is not done.

It is hard to tell if benson is losing condition or not. He does sleep a lot these days but when he is up he is lively. He is a rex so he's always had a touch of the 'eeyore' about him. He tends to plod about quite slowly, whereas my other pig, mike (a Dutch) is the piglet of the guinea pig world, dashing about very busy.

Will let you know what the vet says

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I have got an appointment today at 4.50 with a cavy savvy vet so i will see what he says. The guinea lynx site suggests feeding the soft pellets back to the pig if possible. If not possible, it advises the vit b complex and states that the pig will lose condition if this is not done.

It is hard to tell if benson is losing condition or not. He does sleep a lot these days but when he is up he is lively. He is a rex so he's always had a touch of the 'eeyore' about him. He tends to plod about quite slowly, whereas my other pig, mike (a Dutch) is the piglet of the guinea pig world, dashing about very busy.

furryfriends (TEAS)

Forum Founder
Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Director at TEAS (East Hunsbury) Northampton

I've always offered it back. Some have eaten it and others have ignored it!

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Change of plan - have cancelled today's vet visit and re scheduled for next week. Vet is an hour's drive away and weather horrendous here with strong gales and sleet with warnings issued.
Of course it came out bright sunshine as soon as i called to cancel but it is to turn worse again.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Another question - it it safe to bath an older pig like benson as often as he needs or could that be detrimental (i am thinking will he struggle to keep up his temperature for eg when getting wet and dried again)

I popped him back in a basin of warm water today as i noticed there was still poo staining on his tummy, despite my efforts yesterday. He should have white fur on his tummy but it is dirty brown.

So i used a weak solution of johnsons baby shampoo in the water. He is an indoor pig and our home is warm - i didn't fully soak him so he stayed dry on his back and wrapped him in a towel and then patted his underside dry as i could with kitchen roll.

We tried a hair dryer yesterday but ours is really too powerful even on slow speed.

I am imagining all this getting wet and then dried again could be quite a shock to his system - is there a maximum safe number of these body and bum baths he can have in a week?

Again, he seems quite chirpy now he is back in the cage.

tabelmabel

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Maybe, yes! I will give it a go. I think he had to have a full soaking this time as his fur was stained brown. If i keep on top of it better, a flannel might be sufficient.
Poor lad has been a bit neglected. He lives in my kitchen so i always have an eye on him but i haven't been lifting him and checking the poo situation on a daily basis. As he is looking lively and eating.

I had turned a bit of a blind eye to his poo problem. However, now i have bitten the bullet and got his anal sac all cleaned out, i will be sure to keep on top of things. Have started daily weighing too just to make sure he is maintaing weight.
Thanks!