• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice Much Appreciated - Finding new companion for older bereaved piggy

Barts1967

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Have just lost my 5y+ Male Piggy after Complicated Surgery.
Naw left with his Older Friend who’s 7y+ have been here twice before with a 4y Old and 2y old but never thought I would be in this situation.
What is my best Chance of finding a suitable friend, age wise.
Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Have just lost my 5y+ Male Piggy after Complicated Surgery.
Naw left with his Older Friend who’s 7y+ have been here twice before with a 4y Old and 2y old but never thought I would be in this situation.
What is my best Chance of finding a suitable friend, age wise.
Any advice very much appreciated. Thank you.
Hi and welcome

I am ever so sorry for your loss!
Human Bereavement: Grieving, Coping and Support Links for Guinea Pig Owners and Their Children

Unfortunately, your options very much depend on where you are; even more so with the pandemic. It would be good if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to location in your account details (accessed by clicking on your username on the top bar) to make it appear with every post so we can help you if possible with some pointers who to best contact and tailor any advice to what is relevant and available for you with just a quick glance to the left. We have got members and enquiries from quite literally all over the world and from very different backgrounds, rescue and vet access, all of which may influence our recommendations. Rescues have individually differing solutions for how to deal with the issue of a 'last standing' piggy; there is a growing realisation that there is a real need to help beloved older piggies to not lose out.

You may find these two guides here helpful. Both deal with how to best go about finding companionship for a single/bereaved guinea pig. The singles guide has a chapter on bereaved piggies.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So sorry you’ve just lost one of your piggies, hope you can find a new companion for your oldie x
Sleep tight little man x