• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

ADVICE NEEDED: Anorexic Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guinea-pigGaga

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Profile -

Breed: Coronet crossbreed (Pet)
Bonded: Single

Health Concern: Anorexia
Prescription Only Medication: Baytril & Metacam
Other:

- Syringe Feeding Oxbow Critical Care
- Glucose, Vitamin C, & Vitamin B Supplements
- Metatone Tonic
- Neem Toothpaste
- Probiotics

What's the actual problem here? Is he not eating for himself at all? Dental check?

Ok, can you explain what other checks have been made - and how the teeth were checked? From your notes of what you are doing to help your boar, I think most of them are certainly worth doing. I am glad that the Metacam is already included, but could you explain more about the Baytril, and also the Neem toothpaste?

There are plenty of causes of this general condition but they are so vast and variable. I do have ideas to fall back on if nothing specific seems apparent.

The teeth were checked by Rodentlogists, and founder of Gorgeous Guineas, Chrissie Slade.

The baytril is simply a precaution to rule out infection, and the Neem Toothpaste was recommended, rather than Daktarin, due to Neem's anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-viral, anti-fungal etc properties.

Ok, what are Chrissie's thoughts, and has your boar seen the vet in Tilehurst?

I have attempted to make another appointment with Chrissie Slade. However, unfortunately for our boar, Chrissie Slade will be taking a much deserved rest over the Christmas period.

However, Chrissie Slade also suggested that we arrange an appointment with the veterinary practice in Tilehurst, 'Active Vetcare'. Therefore, I have been in contact with the practice, and made an appointment for two of our boars, weather permitting. However, cost is somewhat of an issue. The consultation fee is approximately £30.00 per cavy, and dental/ molar work is, approximately, a further £30.00. Therefore, with a bill of approximately £90.00/ £100.00, we will be unable to purchase medication, if required. Therefore, I am hoping that the veterinary surgeon will be happy to suggest medication, if needed, and allow us to purchase the medication from our own veterinary practice, who continues to allow us to install a payment plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back