• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice Needed For George!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma2611

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding my 1 year old pig. George has never been on his own but unfortunately his friend Alvin who was 6 died over the weekend Since then George has been behaving differently, he is much more vocal and just doesn't seem himself. I have had 4 other pigs over the years who have been very placid and accepting of a new friend but I'm not sure if George will, he is very high maintenance! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Emma

hi , i have seen this quite a few times , though usualy with older
long terem boars , angsiaty seperation ,
the surviving partner will give up and fade away.
the good news is that the intraduction of a new pig (first through a devided cage to stop fighting)
always dos the trick

Are you based in the UK Emma? It is always worth consulting a rescue to help you find a compatible partner for a lone boar . If you are UK based, you can use the rescue locator on the top toolbar to find you nearest rescues.

Thank u for the reply. I went to two of my local pet shops and they only have very young or coupled up pigs! I've tried looking at rescue centres but they r to far away or only have pairs. Should I try a younger pig? George is very excitable and runs around a lot! I don't want him hurting the new pig!

Hi @Emma2611

could you possibly add your location to your profile? please :D

Aww poor George, if he's more vocal he could be calling out to Alvin.

I'm not a pro when it comes to bonding, but we've bonded three pairs, all boars. Last year we bonded a 4 and 6 month old, this year we bonded a 2 and 2 and a half year old, and more recently a 9 month and 6 week old, all went smoothly, we were advised to get younger for the more recent one and the first bonded pair, but remember when your baby hits that hormonal age it might become a bit of a pain for George if he wants to be dominant (if that makes sense), I wonder if an adult boar would be better?

@Wiebke is very experienced with bonding guinea pigs, so I've tagged her in for you :)

That's great, thank u. I think I'll take him to the pet shop and see how he gets on with the pigs there and hopefully find him a new friend

Oh please be careful doing it that way, you are normally advised to quarantine any piggies not from a rescue for 14 days (sometimes from rescue if they don't look after the piggies properly).

oops XD lol. That was lucky hehe. You would also quarantine in a different area from your current guinea

Last edited:
Hi, I'm looking for some advice regarding my 1 year old pig. George has never been on his own but unfortunately his friend Alvin who was 6 died over the weekend Since then George has been behaving differently, he is much more vocal and just doesn't seem himself. I have had 4 other pigs over the years who have been very placid and accepting of a new friend but I'm not sure if George will, he is very high maintenance! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Emma

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! The best way to find a character compatible friend for George would be dating at a good standard rescue under expert supervision, so you can be sure that they get on and you do not run the risk of ending up with two single boars. All our recommended rescues practice a mandatory quarantine and vet clearance in case of medical treatment, so you are guaranteed to rehome a healthy guinea pig that can live with his new boarmate straight away.

if you find that George is acutely pining, i.e. not eating and giving up on life, then you need to find him a friend asap. In all other cases, he should come out of deep mourning in a few days, but be very subdued.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-guinea-pig.110463/

Unfortunately, there is no good rescue close by, but the RSPCA Bryn Y Maen centre near Colwyn Bay currently have got a single 3 year old boar that is desperate to find a new friend himself; it should be within your reach. they offer dating at the centre.
Your other recommended rescues are the Potteries or the RSPCA Walsall (which will only boar date rescue born babies with single boars, so available).
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/ (we can unfortunately only guarantee for these rescues that they are operating to a good standard of care at all stages and are piggy savvy; in all other rescues you do so at your own risk, especially in view that anybody can call themselves a rescue). If you prefer to source a piggy from anywhere else that does not practise a mandatory quarantine, you will have to conduct on yourself, which of course prolongs intros.
Here are our forum tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/single-boar-seeks-friend.129032/

PS: Boars of all ages can be bonded, provided they like each other and get on. We can provide bonding tips if necessary. ;)

Hello and welcome to the forum! I second the advice given a boe, quarantine is a must. I've been stung by this before and now anything that comes in gets qaurantined. It won't stop everything, but most problems. Taking him to a reputable rescue is your best bet and definitely worth travelling for if you are able to :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! I second the advice given a boe, quarantine is a must. I've been stung by this before and now anything that comes in gets qaurantined. It won't stop everything, but most problems. Taking him to a reputable rescue is your best bet and definitely worth travelling for if you are able to :)
Thank u :)

Hi and welcome!

I am very sorry for your loss! The best way to find a character compatible friend for George would be dating at a good standard rescue under expert supervision, so you can be sure that they get on and you do not run the risk of ending up with two single boars. All our recommended rescues practice a mandatory quarantine and vet clearance in case of medical treatment, so you are guaranteed to rehome a healthy guinea pig that can live with his new boarmate straight away.

if you find that George is acutely pining, i.e. not eating and giving up on life, then you need to find him a friend asap. In all other cases, he should come out of deep mourning in a few days, but be very subdued.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-guinea-pig.110463/

Unfortunately, there is no good rescue close by, but the RSPCA Bryn Y Maen centre near Colwyn Bay currently have got a single 3 year old boar that is desperate to find a new friend himself; it should be within your reach. they offer dating at the centre.
Your other recommended rescues are the Potteries or the RSPCA Walsall (which will only boar date rescue born babies with single boars, so available).
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/ (we can unfortunately only guarantee for these rescues that they are operating to a good standard of care at all stages and are piggy savvy; in all other rescues you do so at your own risk, especially in view that anybody can call themselves a rescue). If you prefer to source a piggy from anywhere else that does not practise a mandatory quarantine, you will have to conduct on yourself, which of course prolongs intros.
Here are our forum tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/importance-of-quarantine.108034/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/single-boar-seeks-friend.129032/

PS: Boars of all ages can be bonded, provided they like each other and get on. We can provide bonding tips if necessary. ;)
Thank u for your advice
George is only really vocal when I'm in the room. He is still eating his hay, carrots, peppers etc but not his muesli :(
Hopefully he will perk up abit and I'll try and go to Colwyn Bay Sunday or Monday.
Thanks again

Thank you for your advice
George is only really vocal when I'm in the room. He is still eating his hay, carrots, peppers etc but not his muesli :(
Hopefully he will perk up abit and I'll try and go to Colwyn Bay Sunday or Monday.
Thanks again

Wishing you the best! You can message our member @AuntyC who is a fosterer for Bryn Y Maen if you want to know more about Gus; the adoption itself has to run through the centre. I would recommend to contact them promptly as paperwork with the RSPCA usually takes abit of time.

Wishing you the best! You can message our member @AuntyC who is a fosterer for Bryn Y Maen if you want to know more about Gus; the adoption itself has to run through the centre. I would recommend to contact them promptly as paperwork with the RSPCA usually takes abit of time.
Thank u very much :)

Thank you very much :)
Hi Emma. Aunty C here. You would be welcome to come to Bryn y Maen to see if Gus would accept George as a new friend. We don't know what Gus is like one to one with other piggies, but he chattered away to the two boys(now rehomed) who used to be in the cage next door. You would need to phone before bringing George over to make sure that one of the experienced piggy bonding staff was on duty that day. That would be either Clare or Rose, or the centre manager Vicky if she is free. Gus is a rather nervous boy, chunky in build( over 1kg) , who came from a multi-animal household. If you think he may be suitable please give us a call or email. Sorry we haven't other piggies in residence at the minute!

Hi Emma. Aunty C here. You would be welcome to come to Bryn y Maen to see if Gus would accept George as a new friend. We don't know what Gus is like one to one with other piggies, but he chattered away to the two boys(now rehomed) who used to be in the cage next door. You would need to phone before bringing George over to make sure that one of the experienced piggy bonding staff was on duty that day. That would be either Clare or Rose, or the centre manager Vicky if she is free. Gus is a rather nervous boy, chunky in build( over 1kg) , who came from a multi-animal household. If you think he may be suitable please give us a call or email. Sorry we haven't other piggies in residence at the minute!
That's great, thank u! I was thinking about coming on Monday if that's ok? I just need to put your address in goggle maps to see how far away u r! I'll try and let u know by Friday lunchtime
Thanks again
Emma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back