• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice Needed - Lump Found On Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pig007

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently felt a lump on one of my pigs just under her front legs, quite small but sold. I took her to the vet and she said the position in the skin surface may suggest a basal type. However, she said that she couldn't tell from the examination whether it was benign or malignant. The vet has suggested we have it removed under anaesthetic.

It is only a couple of months since I lost one of my pigs to a suspect tumour and I always felt she got worse after we put her under to get it investigated.

I am not sure what to do as the pig looks healthy and is in no visible discomfort but I need to make a decision soon. What do people think?

I am very sorry for your dilemma. It is every loving owner's nightmare when a similar issue turns up after you've lost another piggy to it. :(

You could always get a second opinion from another vet. We have got a recommended piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar.

I'm sorry your in this situation.. My piggy had a lump In his neck (which I still don't know if it was benigh or malignant) and I decided to have it removed. He has recovered really well. He was showing no signs of discomfort or pain but I just thought it would be best to be removed. Wishing you all the best for whatever route you chose

If you don't want to aneathetise for now, maybe consider asking for a fine needle aspirate biopsy. This is were a needle is placed into the swelling and cells are sucked out with a syringe. The sample if then sent for analysis and sometimes you can get more of an answer of what sort of tumour it is before considering removal. It's an idea.

x

I agree with @Abi_nurse My Peanut Butter had had needle aspirate biopsy done on a lump which turned out to be a benign sebaceous cyst not needing removal. Not saying yours will be, but this is a far less invasive procedure for a first diagnosis.

Little update - pig went in for op last week and lump was removed - popped out like a bean apparently. Pigs seems fine - Vet did an amazing job. :)

Thanks for the update! Glad that all went well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back