• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice needed on a daily routine please..

Vander74

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to the guniea pig world & got 2 little girls on Friday, all been fine over weekend but this morning been awake since 5.30 instead of my usual 6.30 as know got to fit in guniea pigs feed clean etc before school run, everywhere I read said takes about 15 mins to do spot check and food etc in morning then a clean again in evening but seems to be taking me ages and I don’t really feel I’m in routine ... if I’m honest I’m even wondering what exactly is a spot check and I feel really daft for asking that! The girls set up is as in the picture below.. all their hay is just in a pile one end of cage as they love playing sleeping & hiding in it like this.. so how do I spot check the hay exactly? Would just like some advice on what people do so hopefully can get into a routine for me and the girls & my kids , thank you all xx

Attachments

• 254C8CFB-608B-450E-A40D-D3405BB4F314.jpeg
    254C8CFB-608B-450E-A40D-D3405BB4F314.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 8
Your cage looks great, and you are doing fine.
Give yourself and your piggies some time to settle, and you will find a routine that works for you.

I also have kids and piggies, so mornings can be a bit hectic here and this is what I do.

In the morning the kids check water bottles and top up pellets, while I make breakfast (for the humans).
When the kids go upstairs to brush teeth I chop veg for the piggies.
The kids come back downstairs and feed the piggies and that is it - our entire morning routine for the guinea pigs.
I try to keep it very simple and save the major tasks for later in the day when we have more time.

Mid morning while I make coffee I usually drop a handful of fresh hay into their hay area.

My kids come home for lunch for almost 2 hours, so this gives us time again in the middle of the day.
Over the lunch time the kids sweep out the cages and replace any really wet or dirty beds/mats.
They also usually cuddle at least one piggy each during that time.

After school we are usually quite busy, but this is when we fit in hay tray cleaning (every second day) and wash food bowls and water bottles (again only every second day).

I hope this helps a little, but in the end I am sure you will find a routine that works for you and your family.

Hi, you're keen, getting up at 5.30. Spot checking is just lifting visible poops and any wet bedding. It's not an exact science, and you won't get it all, especially in the hay. It should only take a few mounts, depending on how thorough you are. I usually do that then feed and change the water. It takes about 15 mins. Hope this helps x

Thanks guys, I think I may be making a bit of a big job if it all at the moment .. reading how other people do their routines really helps x

Around 6am, I give them each romaine lettuce, pallets, and herbs, then I scoop out poop. I load hay in their hay rack.

Around 2pm, I give them small baby carrot, cilantro, parsley, cat grass, and basil. I get creative with their lunch and give them something different than what they have for breakfast and dinner. Sometimes I give them small piece of fruit. I scoop out their poop and check their pee-pads and change their pee-pads if needed.

I change their pee-pads every 2 to 3 days and give their cage a full wash every 5-7 with hot water and vinegar. I change their fleece lining when I wash their cage and put several pee-pads on top of the fleece lining. I double the pee-pads in front of the hay rack. I make vinegar water and soak their fleece lining and pee-pads in vinegar for a bit. I feel this removes bacteria. I have several sets of fleece lining and pee-pads for frequent changes.

Around 10pm, I give them romaine lettuce, pallets, and herbs. I load their hay rack and scoop out poop.

Back