Advice needed on bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Tomorrow all being well Sparky will have a new pal, it seems to early for me but Sparky is so lonely. Now thanks to some amazing and lovely people on this board I have the choice of four piggies and they are coming to my house for the meeting.

I have the choice of one of 2, 7 week old babies, an 8 month old and a year old. It is so hard to choose between them but ultimately it's down to Sparky. I have heard adult boars are harder to bond with adult boars though Prince Harry and Sparky were bonded at 19months and 1 year respectively. Therefore I am thinking more along the lines of getting a baby, Sparky would be a great foster daddy I think. My major concern with getting a baby comes from my experiences with Tommy. I am scared that when he reaches puberty they will be ructions and they will fall out which would be dreadful as there is no room in the inn for a third cage.

Thomas and Sparky got on like a house on fire till Tommy around 5 months old and then all hell broke loose and I had to separate them. It most likely wasn't helped by a then friend putting them next her girls cage when they stayed at hers. Since this point Thomas has remained anti-social and aggressive to other piggies. All attempts at bonding have failed. he's not even that keen on cuddles from mum despite numerous attempts.

Any advice would be welcome.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Wanda

As I said to you when you text regards a buddy for Sparky when we had to do the same for Maurice it was way too early for me but like Sparky, Maurice was getting down and lonely

We had the choice of a 5 week old or a 7 month old and we had already kind of decided that we would liker the 5 week old so that Maurice could "father" him plus the 7 month old was Rex which seem to not agree with my skin

Maurice and Gizmo had a meet in a cage at Nicky's and I was worried they weren't getting on but ickly reassure dme it was all normal and they were just getting to know each other and so far (fingers crossed) they are getting on great Mo is fathering him and very protective of him though Gizmo has tried to be once or twice {:| and tried to pinch food right from Maurice's mouth but apart from that they get on fine - Gizmo is now 12 weeks old so we shall see what time brings x

Tommies Mam

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks Karen, your advice has been really helpful and reassuring.

Unfortunately all has not gone well and Sparky remains single. For now. Unfortunately the bad weather means that Becca (Boozyfruits) had not been able to bring the piggies to me and in the same vein it would be pretty impossible for me to get there its disappointing but I understand and I don't want anyone to be put at risk. Hopefully we'll try again in the new year.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I am sorry that you have to wait longer because of the wintery weather. I am sending a hug to you and Sparky!

It is always too early for you when you get a new friend for a bereaved piggy, but you will find that the new arrival will capture your heart with hisvery own unique personality and build his very own nest in it very quickly!

As far as bonding goes - Sparky will make his very own choice, and it will probably surprise you! I never came back with the piggy I had reserved pending a trip to the rescue with my own piggy. You will know when it just clicks, and that will be it! The joy of seeing Sparky suddenly coing to life again and having his sparkle back will outweigh everything. It will not take away from your grief for Tommy, but seeing Sparky happy again will hopefully mark the start of the healing process. It was usually that way for me, even if it took me months to get over the loss of some of my piggies.

Status
Not open for further replies.