• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice Needed On Finding A New Friend For My Remaining Boar

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiggieMummy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry if this post is in the wrong place...

Sadly my poorly young boar had to be put to sleep this afternoon after putting up a good fight over the last few days.
I know my remaining piggie will be happiest with a new friend and intend to find a rescue to discuss adopting one (can anyone recommend one in the Leicester/Peterborough area?).
It's thought that the piggie who passed away had a respiratory infection (underlying since we got him). Is it possible this could have passed to his cage mate? and therefore should I wait a certain amount of time before introducing a new pig? He seems perfectly healthy at the moment although more timid than he was previously.

Also, is there anything else I should be doing? I'm going to thoroughly clean the cage and accessories this evening while he's having floor time.

I am very sorry for your loss! You are most welcome to post a tribute for your boy in our Rainbow Bridge section.

There are several rescues in the Leicester and Northampton and Godmanchester area; sadly nothing further east. I would recommend to contact any rescue within your reach to see wich ones offer boar dating and have suitable candidates. You can do that while your bereaved boy goes through a two week quarantine, which any rescue will be grateful for, considering that they are dealing with some very fragile animals coming into rescue. Cleaning out and disinfecting the cage is also a good idea under the circumstances! Hopefully your remaining boys' immune system is strong enough to deal with any bug and he won't come down with it.
Here are our tips: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.109674/
Here is our recommended rescue locator: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/pages/guinea-pig-rescue-locator/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back