• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice Needed - Taking on surrendered guinea pig with inoperable stomach tumour nor not?

lexi468

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!
So I work at a pet store in the US(small, family owned) and we take in surrendered animals, often ones that are from the humane society.
we recently had a guinea pig surrendered to us, from one of my favorite customers who just had a bout of really really bad luck. The pigs cage mate died a while back and then they got a male pig thinking it was a female, and so she hasn’t had a cage mate in a while. She’s about five years old, and she has a stomach tumor. The customer actually used the vet I use per my recommendation , and my vet said it is inoperable, but she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, she does need gas drops sometimes though. ANYWAYS, the advice I need is whether or not I should take on this pig. We don’t feel comfortable selling her because she may not live long and she does need somebody that knows what they’re doing. I would not be able to provide her with a cage mate, and I would only be able to provide her with a 6 sq ft cage because my boys take up so much space. But I am so worried about her going to the wrong home. What does everybody think?

I'm so sorry to hear that. I think now it's palliative care until she makes the decision to pass or you think it's time. I'll link a guide below and also tag @Wiebke who's better and more knowledgeable than me. All the best for the girl. Are you going to take her home to care for or is she staying in the shop?
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
I guess that’s really my question. Should I take her home even though I can’t provide her with a cage mate or large cage?

Hello!
So I work at a pet store in the US(small, family owned) and we take in surrendered animals, often ones that are from the humane society.
we recently had a guinea pig surrendered to us, from one of my favorite customers who just had a bout of really really bad luck. The pigs cage mate died a while back and then they got a male pig thinking it was a female, and so she hasn’t had a cage mate in a while. She’s about five years old, and she has a stomach tumor. The customer actually used the vet I use per my recommendation , and my vet said it is inoperable, but she doesn’t seem to be in any pain, she does need gas drops sometimes though. ANYWAYS, the advice I need is whether or not I should take on this pig. We don’t feel comfortable selling her because she may not live long and she does need somebody that knows what they’re doing. I would not be able to provide her with a cage mate, and I would only be able to provide her with a 6 sq ft cage because my boys take up so much space. But I am so worried about her going to the wrong home. What does everybody think?

Hi!

If you can afford to take on this poor girl, please do so. You sound like you have the necessary experience and know what you are letting yourself in for and when to call it quits and let her make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

By seeing every happy day with a reasonable quality of life she has with you as a precious boon, when the inevitable happens you won't have any regrets. If she could be next to a cage with another single piggy (any gender or either sows or a mixed gender group (NO boars-only bonds) for company and stimulation through the bars, that would be even greater and would give her a new zest for life. It is all about quality of life and any pain management/feeding support as long as she is willing to take any food.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs (End of chapter 3: rules with boars and sows in the same room)

My Jemimah was diagnosed with an inoperable tumour last March.
She just needed lots of love and care. She had Metacam in the last week when she started showing discomfort and passed away peacefully In June
To give this piggy love and care in her last weeks / months is a precious gift. It will tug your heartstrings so be prepared.

Hi!

If you can afford to take on this poor girl, please do so. You sound like you have the necessary experience and know what you are letting yourself in for and when to call it quits and let her make the journey to the Rainbow Bridge.

By seeing every happy day with a reasonable quality of life she has with you as a precious boon, when the inevitable happens you won't have any regrets. If she could be next to a cage with another single piggy (any gender or either sows or a mixed gender group (NO boars-only bonds) for company and stimulation through the bars, that would be even greater and would give her a new zest for life. It is all about quality of life and any pain management/feeding support as long as she is willing to take any food.
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
(End of chapter 3: rules with boars and sows in the same room)
I don’t see anything about keeping boars and sows in the same room. I’m sure I’m missing something, but is it okay? Will it cause my boys to fight?

It could cause a problem so you either need to keep her in a separate room (preferable). If that's really not possible then you need to put her in a cage below the boys. Anytime you come to dealing with her, you have to sort the boys out first. So you can't handle her then handle them.

I don’t see anything about keeping boars and sows in the same room. I’m sure I’m missing something, but is it okay? Will it cause my boys to fight?

It's in the chapter about do's and don't for boars. When you introduce sows into a boars only room, you need to keep the boars out of sight and reach of female pheromones (especially when they come into season). It can even upset adult boars.

She is absolutely beautiful. Remember that she doesn't know she's ill. She'll just bimble around doing bimbly piggy things until she can't anymore. She is going to have a lovely what is left of her life with you.

Oh my gosh, bless her. And you! What a wonderful thing you have done. You'll make such a huge difference in her life and I'm sure she will have a lovely time of what she has left. It's the moment that counts with piggies, not the long term ❤ They live for now

Back