• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

liammcclure

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi my little piggy died Saturday night I noticed the other one was beginning to fret like last time so I went to a rescue and got a new piggy for her companion. When we first introduced them they were fine snuggling up to eacheck other and we're fine on the way home. I put them into there new home together and we're fine for half an hour. But then the new one started chasing the other one round. And then the new one started try a bite the other one so I've split them up. But put the two cages together. Hoping they will get use to each other. But I'm not sure in my old piggy will take to her because she seems to be very distressed at the moment even when I stroke her. Can anyone suggest anything to help out or give advice please.

Hi and welcome!

Please give your girls time to get their bearings and getting to know each other through the bars. Then re-introduce them on neutral ground and only transfer them to the completely cleaned (including furnishings) and rearranged cage that doesn't contain any hideys with just one exit.
If you just stick a new piggy into the territory of another, the reaction is unfortunately bound to be much stronger and usually hostile. A real blow up or tussle is going to leave both piggies shaken. You will have to start right from scratch again.

In any bonding, there is going to be a dominance phase anyway, which is lasting several days to several weeks; it follows the initial acceptance phase. Were the bites bloody or was it just chasing/nipping with the underpig screaming submission? The latter is pretty much part and parcel of the hierarchy sort-out, but it is a lot less dramatic as it sounds and looks. When nipping, the top piggy is just letting the underpig feel its teeth without biting. Submission squeaking sounds like pain to the uninitiated, but isn't; it is actually very effective in preventing the top piggy from hurting an underpiggy! ;)

Please read these guides here carefully; so you can assess what has happened and on which level the aggression was. I am sorry that the rescue you were using did not give you any tips as to how best proceed at home; I assume that it wasn't one of our recommended ones.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/introducing-and-re-introducing-guinea-pigs.38562/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/dominance-behaviours-in-guinea-pigs.28949/
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/sow-behaviour.38561/

There wasn't any blood on the piggy that was being bitten but the under pigwas letting squeels out. And after I split them but we're in the same cage the new piggie was chattering her teeth while the other was squeezing everyone I try to stroke her.. I tried looking for a rescue closer to home but this was the only one that was in about a 30 mile radius

There wasn't any blood on the piggy that was being bitten but the under pigwas letting squeels out. And after I split them but we're in the same cage the new piggie was chattering her teeth while the other was squeezing everyone I try to stroke her.. I tried looking for a rescue closer to home but this was the only one that was in about a 30 mile radius

So it was just submission squealing/protest, but the little one didn't appreciate being chased around and pounced on. Just give the two girls another try on neutral ground and see whether they can work past their upset if you let them get on. Make sure that you have got time and take it slowly. There has been no violence, so it is worth to proceed.

So it was just submission squealing/protest, but the little one didn't appreciate being chased around. Just give the two girls another try on neutral ground and see whether they can work past their upset if you let them get on. Make sure that you have got time and take it slowly. There has been no violence, so it is worth to proceed.
I will try that later me mum has been trying to help look after them today while I'm at work so I will find out what the latest is when I get in cheers for the help.and suggestions

I will try that later me mum has been trying to help look after them today while I'm at work so I will find out what the latest is when I get in cheers for the help.and suggestions

You can spread it over several days and just give them time together on neutral ground. See how it goes and take it as slow or as fast as it needs.

I've read one of the threads and I did as it says put them on me lap no probs put them in the bath empty of course no probs as we speak. But they been in there about 10 mins the new one is try making an effort to interact by sniffing the others bk end and getting her head under then headbutting away and going bk . The other one is tolerating it no moving or making any noises

I've read one of the threads and I did as it says put them on me lap no probs put them in the bath empty of course no probs as we speak. But they been in there about 10 mins the new one is try making an effort to interact by sniffing the others bk end and getting her head under then headbutting away and going bk . The other one is tolerating it no moving or making any noises

Give them more time to relax. The youngster is doing all the right things and obviously wants to bond. Can you add a plate of hay or veg for them to share? Food is a good way to help relax them and encouraging to interact. You will have to brace yourself that your older girl (what are their names?) is likely to react quite strongly when she finally does. You will have to work past that; it may take more than one session.

The older one is called smudge. And the new one I haven't named yet just incase they don't get on and have to give it bk to rescue. I'm going to try again later give them a break

The older one is called smudge. And the new one I haven't named yet just incase they don't get on and have to give it bk to rescue. I'm going to try again later give them a break

Just leave them together in one go for as long as you can, please.

Wishing you all the best with your girls. Bonding is not a quick job...

Just a quick update. I tried putting them together again like u sed and put some hey in but the new one attacked smudge yet again. So left it it for a bit and me mum tried today and same thing happened. Got back in touch with the rescue and explained to them my situation she see to bring them both up and she will swap them. I asked if I leave smudge there will she be able to sort them out because I'm working until Monday and can't spend the time that is needed to bond them. And me folks are working as we'll. she agreed so at the min there both up at rescue trying to make friends. I hope this works because the new one is a very friendly piggie.

Just a quick update. I tried putting them together again like you sed and put some hey in but the new one attacked smudge yet again. So left it it for a bit and me mum tried today and same thing happened. Got back in touch with the rescue and explained to them my situation she see to bring them both up and she will swap them. I asked if I leave smudge there will she be able to sort them out because I'm working until Monday and can't spend the time that is needed to bond them. And me folks are working as we'll. she agreed so at the min there both up at rescue trying to make friends. I hope this works because the new one is a very friendly piggie.

Fingers firmly crossed! I hope that the next one will work out. Very sorry that the two girls haven't gelled.

Please do some intros on neutral space when they come to do you before putting them into a cleaned and neutralised cage.

just received a phone call from the rescue they have managed to find her a partner and are getting on great so going tomoz to pick them up. thanks for all your help.
ive washed out and bleached the cage in the mean time and left it to air going to give clean bedding and hay tomoz just before i go to collect them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back