• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Advice neeeded for cleaning grease gland

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi, I’ve had a read of a thread on here and have bought some pure coconut oil. The thread states you can use this but how do you use it? I need more instructions, thanks very much.

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
I tried this recently for the first time and was really pleased.
I just took a little of the coconut oil and massaged it into hair around the grease gland.
Afterwards I gave a bum bath with Shampoo.
Hint is not too use too much, otherwise he’ll still have a greasy bum but from the oil!

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
Ok thanks, how much did you use? Like a pea size amount? And the shampoo is that guinea pig shampoo?

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
Ok thanks, how much did you use? Like a pea size amount? And the shampoo is that guinea pig shampoo?
I would say a tea spoon, I used more like a table spoon and it was way too much! :doh:Probably better to start with smaller amount, it worked very quickly.
I always use gorgeous Guineas shampoo, very good!

G&C

Junior Guinea Pig
And do you leave it to soak in for five minutes or just bath straight after? Sorry for all the questions. Just want to do it right

Guineautopia

Teenage Guinea Pig
No problem :)
I actually didn’t need to leave it in for cleaning the grease gland. I just rubbed it In and I could see it melting away the dirt and grease before my eyes :nod: then I shampooed the bottom straight away.