• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Advice on bonding please!

Sashaxx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I would like some advice on bonding my two male pigs.

My pig, Fifi passed on last month and since then I've been trying to find a friend for my remaining pig, Barley.
I managed to find one and they're currently on a 2 week adoption trial at my place after a playdate that was quite mild, with some chasing and buff sniffing from other pig, Tri. I'm completely new to bonding pigs and relied on info from the forum and some research from my own and some advice from the rescue where I adopted Fifi and Barley from.

As I'm writing this, today is the morning of day 3. Admittedly on day 1, they were not immediately put together but first introduced by a fence. I noticed there was a lot of butt sniffing, chasing by Tri and Barley looked so annoyed and he would constantly jump out of annoyance. Tri would also teeth chatter. Out of concern, I decided to seperate them the whole night, and I also cleaned everything with a vinegar water solution, and changed the hideys to one that doesn't have any piggies smell, and fresh bedding. I even wiped down their bowls, water bottles and hay racks with vinegar water.

Fast forward to day 2, I felt that I can't always keep them seperated since I read that it doesn't help with the bonding process. Hence, I removed the partitions. They were doing okay, with the usual chasing, butt sniffing and occasional humping from Tri. Tri would try to keep stealing Barleys hidey, which Barley was generally quite willing to let it go, with the occasional annoyance as usual. I even caught them sleeping together in the hidey so I thought all was good and I could let them sleep together overnight. However, around 4pm, they suddenly started to raise their heads up (which I understand is a sign of dominance) but no one would put their head down first. As a result, they both started teeth chattering and circling each other. They would look at each other face to face and would open their mouths in 'O', which i understand is some sort of warning but they don't mean to bite. I honestly got quite terrified but I tried my best to let it go on since no blood is drawn. However, it kept going on throughout the day and I was so worried that they were going to fight while I wasn't looking at night so I still decided to separate them.

Btw, Barley is free roam at my place and he was the dominant pig with Fifi. Whereas Tri, with his previous friend that passed on, would always try to be dominant but would hide behind the other when he was scared.

This makes the whole issue more complicated as Barley's personality is more independent and from the start of the bonding, he was actually quite aloof to Tri, but they would eat hay together and all that so I thought it was fine. Tri on the other hand, loves to stick to Barley like glue which Barley is super annoyed by since he loves his personal space. I also do notice that when they're bonding, Barley keeps biting the cage bars and want to "escape", maybe to go outside and roam like he usually is able to. The cage I have is 5x2 grids, and at night I split it down the middle for them. During day 2 of bonding, I also created an extension of another 2x4 grids so barley feels like he has more space even though he isn't let out to play like he usually is.

Tri really likes Barley and would even claw at the grids at night because he wants to be with him (which I suppose is because he has been alone for a longer time) However, Barley is annoyed with him and I don't want to risk making Barley more stressed, but I also read so many forums saying that putting them together and seperating them at night does more damage. I'm honestly quite lost and anxious because I don't want my pig to suffer everyday from being so annoyed but I also feel horrible seeing Tri want so badly to be friends with Barley.

I'm so sorry for the long post but this process has been quite stressful for me and I thought giving a detailed accounted would be helpful in helping everyone understand the situation. It doesn't help that I'm honestly quite an anxious owner that is still grieving over Fifi so my mind goes to the worst case scenarios and I can't sleep at night worrying over whether these two will be friends.

My main question is - is all this behaviour normal and should I let it be? I was really concerned after both of them started teeth chattering and circling yesterday. Good news is they usually know how to cool off on their own - Barley runs to another end, but Tri follows (which once again annoys Barley).

Your kind input would be appreciated please!

Sorry some info I forgot to include.

Barley is turning 4 thereabouts this year (he was adopted in 2021 and rescued so idk his exact age), and Tri is was born in 2021 so he's turning 4 this year. Despite Tri being younger, size wise he's bigger than Barley.

I'm not one of the experts and when they are on later I will be happy for them to correct me if I'm wrong. How old are they? I had to bond a new younger boar to my free roaming Dignified Sir George. The way I saw it was that neutral territory was a room that he didn't go in, so I used my bedroom as the bonding area.
There are still occasions when Mischievous Master Boris is a bit too boisterous for Dignified Sir George and he will get a bit grumbly and snippy.
Reading back through your post it sounds like you are just removing the separation grid and this could be causing territory issues but on the whole it sounds quite mild. I reiterate that I am not an expert and am happy to be corrected.
Good luck with it.

Thanks for your reply! Barley is turning 4 thereabouts this year (he was adopted in 2021 and rescued so idk his exact age), and Tri is was born in 2021 so he's turning 4 this year. Despite Tri being younger, size wise he's bigger than Barley.

Could I ask about the territory issues you were mentioning - I tried to wipe everything down with vinegar water already. Is that not enough? I'm truly clueless. Is it also normal for one pig (Barley) to be so cold towards Tri? Tri looks forward to seeing Barley but Barley kind of pretends he doesn't exist lol.

I don't know where to cut it and declare that their bonding has failed, and my main concern right now is whether Barley is ok or he just needs more time to get used to his friend and I'm being too jumpy.

Thanks so much!

I'm not one of the experts and when they are on later I will be happy for them to correct me if I'm wrong. How old are they? I had to bond a new younger boar to my free roaming Dignified Sir George. The way I saw it was that neutral territory was a room that he didn't go in, so I used my bedroom as the bonding area.
There are still occasions when Mischievous Master Boris is a bit too boisterous for Dignified Sir George and he will get a bit grumbly and snippy.
Reading back through your post it sounds like you are just removing the separation grid and this could be causing territory issues but on the whole it sounds quite mild. I reiterate that I am not an expert and am happy to be corrected.
Good luck with it.

As Barley is free roaming he will have left scent spoors pretty much everywhere he goes and therefore considers all of it his territory (I'm assuming). Dignified Sir George only roams round the living room so we used a room he never goes in for his bonding. When we moved them out of the bonding pen we had deep cleaned the whole room to make it as neutral as possible.
Also a lot of pairings don't display much affection towards each other and some of their behaviours seem extreme to us especially when we are stressed about them. I advise reading the bonding guides again.
Hopefully someone more experienced than me will give you some proper advice when they are online.

When bonding you need to carry it out somewhere Barley does not see as his territory. Free roaming means he sees it all as his territory which can be a problem.
You also can’t just remove dividers as that is also allowing the other to wander into territory.

Also, you should not allow access to any hides when bonding. They further create territories and potential issues.

Chewing at bars etc is not necessarily a sign they want to be together. It’s a bit of a misconception. Owners can see the piggies laying against dividers and assume they want to be together but actually that kind of laying against bars can be territory marking and not necessarily a friendly gesture.

To bond they need to go somewhere Barley doesn’t normally go. A bath tub even. Put them in there for several hours with no hides, just a pile of hay and water and see how things go.
If dominance behaviours remain in the mild level (rumbling, chasing, mounting) then leave them to get on with it. You don’t separate them as that interrupts everything. What you had seen about not separating at night is correct. Boars need to be put together and left together as long as they aren’t actually fighting. Bonding is a one time event seen to conclusion on that one day.
When you separate boars during bonding, the process stops and then you put them back together the next day but they start from the beginning. Therefore they aren’t getting through the process to bond. It’s frustrating for them.
It takes them two weeks after bonding day for them to fully form their relationship

Circling, raising heads and neither backing down may be a bit more into the orange zone but you need to decipher the behaviour you are seeing - it can come across differently in the written word.
Generally speaking the advice is to put them together, as long as they are not actually fighting then leave them to it.
Most piggies aren’t affectionate towards each other but it doesn’t mean they don’t like each other

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

Back