Advice on combining 2 herds

Elliegirl

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 10.5 x 8.5 ft stable all boarded out and insulated. It has heat lamps, enrichment, toys etc. I currently have it split in 2 with a 6ft hutch in each and a herd of 3 girls and 1 neutered huspig in each side. I want to ask peoples thoughts on taking out the divide and putting all 8 together, leaving in both hutches and adding some hide boxes etc. Opening up the stable will make a whole lot more room for everyone and allow even better enrichment etc but can 2 boys live in a herd of girls in a space this size and get on. I also have a rescue girl needing a herd to join so was considering eventually adding her into the herd making a total of 7 girls 2 boys.

I have other options but I like this idea the best :)

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think this plan will work.

It is highly unlikely that 2 boars will live happily togewther with each other and many females as well.
One herd per boar is usually the best idea.
It does sound like you have a lot of space to offer, but if you currently have 2 happy herds, I would be reluctant to try and mix them and risk major fallout's and possible injuries.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with @Swissgreys that one NB per herd is really the max. I would not be at all keen to try to mix 2 separate herds with their own hierarchy and boars into one. To me it sounds like trouble waiting to happen. Sorry not to be more positive.