• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice On Helping Pig Recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottishdean

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as on my previous posts, Chester was very close to passing away due to a lung infection, loss of appetite and he was dedehydrated. What I'd like to know is, is there anything else I need for when he's discharged this afternoon? He's got fresh hay, fresh veg and pellets, vettark powder in his water which is a combo of vitaminc, good bacteria, fibre and soo on. Got it from p.a.h

Please weigh Chester daily at the same time in the feeding cycle to monitor his actual food intake. If necessary, top him up with hand feed and water, as much as he will take. By making sure that he gets as much food as possible, you give him more strength to fight off his illness. We have got tips for the recovery phase in our hand feeding guide.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/complete-hand-feeding-guide.115359/

You may find that it is more effective to either syringe the vetark solution in water (which gives you control over his intake) and offer plain water otherwise or to syringe the vetark powder with his hand feed. Many piggies are drinking noticeably less if the water contains additives and it has a tendency to go off very quickly. By syringing you can make sure that he gets the full dose.

All the best! Recovery from a severe illness can often be a two steps forward, one step back thing, so be patient. Contact your vet or an out-of-hours vet asap if there is any deterioration, loss of appetite/weight loss or if notice any secondary issues that are caused by the lowered immune system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back