Advice please before I collect my babies

Reggiebooboo

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After much thought I've decided to ho ahead and get two baby girls. Always liked them but it's took me 63 years to jump in.

I have read up as much as I can about feeding but I have a query. I have bought Timothy feeding hay and alfalfa pellets. I know they need fresh veggies each day but how much do I give them. It's for two babies - how many ounces of pellets for 2. per day? I don't want to make them I'll by giving too many veggies. Thanks.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
How old are they? Alfalfa pellets aren’t as necessary once they’ve been weaned G3 weeks of age) so I would get normal piggy pellets and just give them two tablespoons each a day - not unlimited supply as you may have read elsewhere. If they’re four months or older then they only need one tablespoon each a day.

depending on what veg they’ve been previously fed, you can start with a leaf of lettuce (not iceberg), pepper, coriander/cilantro sprig and cucumber daily. A 50g serving each of veg a day is how much they also need. Hay should be available 24/7 and topped up/changed regularly. Have a read of the links below.
New Owners' Most Helpful How-To Guides and Information

Are they coming from a rescue, breeder, private person or pet shop? If not a rescue I would book them into a vet as soon as possible.
Vet Locator

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Alfalfa pellets are entirely unnecessary for piggies who are over three weeks of age. Piggies older than 3 weeks of age can have a normal adult diet.
If you are going to give alfalfa pellets now you have them, then only give them one tablespoon per day (it equates to around 6 grams per day - really such a tiny amount). Once they are four months old make sure they are definitely on normal adult pellets and only give them one tablespoon.