• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice please - cyst? Sow age 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodlouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello. One of my sows is almost 7 now and has been developing 'lumps and bumps' over the past 12 months or so that my vet and I agreed to just 'let be' given her age. However over the last couple of weeks she has developed a large lump in her neck/side and it's growing rapidly :( I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it's getting on for the size of a golf ball :( In all other respects she's a normal piggie of her age - eating & drinking and holding her own as top sow!

What are other people's experiences of cysts/growths like this? Especially in older pigs? I've e-mailed my vet tonight and will, of course, take her in to see her if there is something that can possibly be done.

All advice/suggestions welcome. Thank you x

Woodlouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Update

We've been to the vets tonight. She did a fine needle aspiration, which showed that it's not a cyst or an abscess. So it remains "an unidentified lump" which we're monitoring. The vet was confident that in a younger pig it would be easy to remove surgically but given Artoo's age we are going to let her be and not interfere whilst she is eating, drinking and moving normally. As I type she's strutting around with the others, enjoying floortime x

MissAqua

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I too have recently been to the vets about my girl who is coming up to six with a large lump under her chin, about the size of the inner plastic bit of a kinder egg. However, it is growing slowly and not fast.
I received the same advice as yourself, just let it be and only if it starts to effect her health and ability to do things would they suggest operating.

Woodlouse

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I too have recently been to the vets about my girl who is coming up to six with a large lump under her chin, about the size of the inner plastic bit of a kinder egg. However, it is growing slowly and not fast.
I received the same advice as yourself, just let it be and only if it starts to effect her health and ability to do things would they suggest operating.

Glad to know I'm not the only one in this position. At the end of the day both your girl and mine are already fabulous ages and they deserve to be allowed to live out their last weeks, months or even years, peacefully. x

Status
Not open for further replies.