• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Advice please

Jo83

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello again!
Sorry everyone I seem to be forever asking questions but I’m a bit worried about George tonight, he’s not himself at all, doesn’t have much go in him & has just been lying down a lot, he’s also making a sort of clicking noise when he’s breathing- not all the time but occasionally & is moving with his breaths, doesn’t seem to be having trouble breathing no gasping or anything but I’ve never noticed this sort of head bob as he breathes before, no coughing or sneezing. He’s also having quite soft stools, he’s still eating his veg but both boys seem to have gone off their nuggets recently, I have read that can happen so not sure if that’s related. He’s still eating plenty of hay & seems eager for food as usual. It’s been particularly hot here recently so not sure if that has something to do with it but they’re kept indoors with the curtains shut and I have a fan in the room (not directly facing the cage) for really hot days.

I would take him to the vet as soon as. Start weighing him daily at the same time. If he’s consistently losing weight then you will have to step in with syringe feeding to help him maintain. And if their stools are soft then you need to take them off veg until at least 24 hours after their poo is back to normal.
Not Eating, Weight Loss And The Importance Of Syringe Feeding Fibre

Hello again!
Sorry everyone I seem to be forever asking questions but I’m a bit worried about George tonight, he’s not himself at all, doesn’t have much go in him & has just been lying down a lot, he’s also making a sort of clicking noise when he’s breathing- not all the time but occasionally & is moving with his breaths, doesn’t seem to be having trouble breathing no gasping or anything but I’ve never noticed this sort of head bob as he breathes before, no coughing or sneezing. He’s also having quite soft stools, he’s still eating his veg but both boys seem to have gone off their nuggets recently, I have read that can happen so not sure if that’s related. He’s still eating plenty of hay & seems eager for food as usual. It’s been particularly hot here recently so not sure if that has something to do with it but they’re kept indoors with the curtains shut and I have a fan in the room (not directly facing the cage) for really hot days.

Please have him seen by a vet soon as possible; loss of appetite and leathargy can point to heat exhaustion or stroke.
Also keep in mind that the stress from hot and humid conditions can impact on the immune system and allow underlying issues a foot in.

Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

Will do, I’ll try to get him in to a vets tomorrow, the normal one we go to is shut on the weekend but will try another. I will weigh him but he is eating hay & veg just the nuggets he doesn’t seem to be interested in & just after I wrote my 1st post he gave a big sneeze so not sure if he may be suffering with a respiratory infection.

Back